Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coqui's are quite, what's up with that??
Carolann R,
Where in Volcano are you? I plan to build in Ohia Estates and I would like to hear about that area of upper Puna from a resident. It's good that those frogs don't like it there. At what elevation do the frogs disappear? I believe my lot is just under 3500ft. but not sure.

S. FL Islander to be
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Hi, Oink.

The coqui are finding their way to Volcano. Fortunately, as Carrie pointed out, it gets cold enough to limit procreation (females don't find the males without the noise). Also, the community has been quite diligent with hunting down the frogs that do show up and make themselves known.

It's a great community up here.
Too cold for most folks, but perfect for me.

Robin

Thanks for the response Robin,
I know the greater Volcano covers a large area. Are you in the village or close to it? I check the Wunderground weather for Volcano on a regular basis, however the station is in the Country Club. Would you know how well that station relates to the Ohia Estates area weather?
Sorry about the partial thread hijack.

S. FL Islander to be

Edited by - oink on 12/12/2006 07:01:30
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Oink, I'm in Pahoa area, but learned that coquis don't CO-KEE when they're cold from Robin... Smile)

Carrie

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx

http://www.hellophoenix.com/art/dreamhawaii.Cfm
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
Oink.

The Wunderground weather info is the best we've found. We are in Cymbidium Acres, so on the other side of the highway, upslope a bit from Ohia Estates. (Some consider it the "Village", others don't.)
Compared to the Golf Course readings on Wunderground we tend to be wetter. The Volcano Community News reports that in Sept the Village got 6.4 inches of rain, Ohia Estates got 5.0 and the Golf Course got 2.1. We can be either warmer or colder than the Golf Course.

The newsletter is distributed free to PO box holders. If you want it while still on the mainland you can get it for $5/yr by writing to Cooper Center Council, PO Box 1000, Volcano HI 96785. I'm not involved with the newsletter, but it was something I would have liked to receive before we moved and didn't know how to get it.

Hope that helps.

Robin

Although I haven't heard Coqui up in our area of Volcano yet, they are being detected. Eggs were found in the Royal Hawaiian Estates area, so, they are capable of breeding at this elevation. It may be that they aren't as prolific.
Thanks Robin, I will get the newsletter.

S. FL Islander to be
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I was out by the fire the other night and overheard a couple of them discussing WMDs. It seems their plan is to kill us all with some kind of unrelenting high decibal screeches which affect our brains and nervous systems like microwaves, causing us to go completely insane.

Or, it's too cold for nooky.

In any case, enjoy the repite. This Spring will be a challenge, I'm sure.

Brad smokes pot.
Why does someone always say that?