Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Something strange is going on in Maui
IMHO

Maui desperately wants to shed both a good % of tourists and a good % of current "residents".  This because Maui is genuinely focused on shifting to a higer value, lower impact brand of tourism and a more remote work, less drum circle brand of malahini.

The new rule is simply the logical continuation of the current litmus test.  Folks who are unhappy are encouraged to make other arrangements.
Keep it local  Heart
@Durian Fiend
You may be right on the statistics if nothing else. I found more detailed info. Looks like only 21% on Maui is boosted though.

@My 2 cents
I'm trying to say I want to just focus on how people would react to this and why does Victorino think he won't get backlash given the statistics. The reasoning and reaction to a policy is different than the effects of the policy health wise.

@Puna Grace
It seems like he is risking getting voted out this year is what I'm getting at. It would seem a small minority of the population there will meet the requirements to go out anywhere.

@ Kander
If that's truly the case well I hope it's a failure. I think it's more likely that the hospital there has a stash of vaccines they are going to have to trash soon if no one takes them, which would mean a lot of $$$ that they won't be collecting from insurance companies and the government.

Edit: Durian Friend might be right about the first dose/second dose statistics. I found more detailed info. That said the "additional dose rate on Maui is only 21%
I think you misunderstood which message was for you Puna Grace. :-)

Yes, on Maui... I guess I had a brain fart and was thinking it would sound weird if I said "Something strange is going on on Maui", but I just realized that "Something strange is going on Maui" is fine. lol
Yep - sorry - deleted for lack of value.

You're assuming Victorino wants to be re-elected.  You're also assuming that the available statistics reflect reality.
Keep it local  Heart
He must not if the statistics are correct, but yeah. The fact so many places give different info makes it tough to know what actually reflects reality or not.
As Mark Twain asserted that Benjamin Disareli said, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, dammed lies, and statistics"

Also, you should force yourself to listen to an hour long briefing from Mayor Victorino.  You may find your answer..
Keep it local  Heart
Is there a transcript? Sad
Man... The more I think about this the more evil I think Victorino might be. He must be trying to put the restaurants, bars and gyms out of business.

He has no problem destroying those people's livelihoods just to try to change the type of tourist that comes to Maui?

These public health officials pushing this kind of thing should be strung up.
Relax, Don't believe everything you think.
Even if that isn't his motive he's still evil. The public health officials pushing this kind of thing as well.

Apparently he implemented this the day after the recall efforts final deadline.

While I have major mixed feelings about the guy, I am firmly on the side of Robert Malone and the protestors on Maui now.

This insanity has to stop. The only way to describe what would drive this kind of policy is mental illness.

Do these morons driving public health policy realize no one is going to trust them after this?

They're causing untold damage to their profession.