Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to stay in Kona?
I agree on Manago. Can't beat it. Clean, with recently refreshed paint and carpet it seemed when we were there in November. (Probably did some updates and maintenance during Covid.) Bed firm and comfortable. Like a little old Motel 6. Except every room has a small balcony with ocean view. Roosters in the morning as it's the country! But no mini fridge or coffee maker or tv. No elevator and it's three stories. Can't beat the price. Going to a wedding in August and yes, everything $4-5-600 per night, before taxes and fees! Even the new-ish Holiday Inn Express was $349 per night. Crazy.

Manago has a section that is more like a hostel with shared bath. It was closed over Covid; not sure if it reopened but make sure you don't book in that section if you want privacy.
I was also thinking of Manago costwise, but not real convenient for downtown Kona.
I forgot about the Hotel Manago. Mahalo. I'm booking it now.... the Japanese Room.
I forgot about it too, great suggestion!
Kona islander inn has openings sometimes and can be pretty affordable. Some units are a little loud as it’s right there on alii drive. You can usually call ahead of time and book on the phone.
(04-21-2022, 06:28 PM)captkuiu Wrote: Manago Hotel in Capt Cook now $82 + 15% tax, with private bath.
Yep.  Not great, but modestly livable, with spectacular hillside views.

*I* cannot, however, recommend the restaurant although their typical American breakfast was OK.  (I know others will differ.)

I expect it to be bought out pretty soon just for the location.

Ccat
A traffic tip getting to Manago if you aren't aware yet. We've found the quickest and least stressful way is to take the new-ish (and latest)  Kona bypass road which you pick up south of Keauhou, just past the shopping center. Believe it or not, Alii Drive to Keauhou is quickest, as the upper highway gets slow and bumper to bumper quickly. Especially once it goes down to two lanes near Lako Street. And now with so many visitors back, the usual bad Kona traffic is too.

The bypass goes along the oceanfront and ends at the stoplight intersection with Napo'opo'o Rd. The Manago is just a couple of quick blocks on the right past the light.

I swear, the many times on this bypass, there have only been a handful of travelers. Seems so luxurious for the locals, to have yet another multi-million dollar bypass. A subject for another thread of course, why Kona has so many bypass roads and the stepchild Puna has none. !? Still hopeful for a PMAR in my lifetime lol.
Thanks for all the info Kiana.

Since it seems like you've stayed there a couple of times, can you give me a quick rundown on the different room choices? I see the higher floors are more $, with the Japanese room being the most expensive (Although I don't think $100 is expensive).

I'd like to do a snorkeling trip to that side. Really just looking for a place to sleep but since you've been there I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks
The portion of the hotel on the street is circa 1910 perhaps. Very old style. They have very inexpensive rooms there with bathrooms shared down the hall.

A more modern hotel is behind the old one. Each room has a bath. Its all quite adequate. If you want the real old timey experience with creaky floors and hearing your fellow travelers snoring at night the old portion is an experience. Pretend Mark Twain is down the hall.
Love that description, Rob. So true! Chas, I've only stayed in the newer three story portion in the back, which has the small balconies and ocean views. I'm pretty sure all of those rooms are similar. Small, with nice comfortable bed, chair, dresser, end tables. Not much else. As mentioned previously, no TV or mini fridge. Check out their website if you haven't already. The lower levels are fine as they all have that same view and same type balcony. Top floor is likely quieter, as you do hear people and their footsteps above you.

It's a great cheap stay, and perfect for snorkeling in southern Kona/Captain Cook area, Honaunau, Kealakekua, and further down is Ho'okena. Must go VERY early for best experience in those spots, as again, the tourists are here and it gets so darn crowded by 10 am or even sooner.

And, we do like their restaurant in its very historical setting. For dinners, local style. People make a big deal about their pork chops seared in some kind of custom iron pan, but, bleh, not impressed. But, fresh local fish and other entrees excellent. Local sides. Breakfast is simple eggs and meats, not much choice. Very limited hours. I think they only serve dinner until 7 pm. Reservations are good as it is popular with the neighbors down there. Closed on Mondays. The Black Rock Pizza next door is excellent with a large outdoor patio and also indoor seating. And a bar. (no relation to our Pahoa Black Rock Cafe, not even close)