Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a Charter Schools in and around HPP?
With all the violence happening in the public schools in Kea'au, I'm worried/concerned about my kids going to school there. I just couldn't believe the numbers of assaults in Kea'au middle school...several hundred in one year!

To me the principles from both Kea'au middle & High School should both be fired from their jobs. Not only are they in place in these school to insure that our kids get the best education possible, but they are there also to make sure we are protected at all times.
To me it's obvious that these two principles are there only for a paychecks, and not much else. So I wanna put my kids in 'Charter School', if it's possible? I've raised my boys to be "Pacifist", not to be "Mini Rambo's"

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Waters of Life is the Keaau Charter School, and many Keaau school kids go to COnnections Charter School in Hilo.
http://www.hcsao.org/hicharters/profiles HPP has a Waldorf School, Malamalama Waldorf School is off of Makuu. www.malamalamawaldorf.org/
Aloha, Carey

Aloha, Beachboy,
In addition to the options mentioned by Carey, there is also the Kua'o Ka La Charter
School in Pahoa and Cindy Greenlaw's School in HPP near Makuu and 21st. Cindy (wife of Mike Greenlaw of Paradise Pools) along with a few helpers has a one-room operation for grades 1 to 6. (Could go past 6th, but I know they don't do HS) I have visited there and found it to be amazingly comprehensive and personalized. Some of her students have gone on to be honor students in various high schools and colleges.

Hope this helps,
Jerry

Edited by - JerryCarr on 12/18/2006 12:30:29
It is a shame that this violence is happening to our youngsters. I too would seek out a charter school in this situation.

The public schools need to take heed of this trend though, for every student they loose they loose federal dollars to support their own schools.

Best wishes to you Beachboy and your sons with their education.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
aloha all,

yes the level of violence in the Hawai'ian schools in unacceptable. definitely NOT Hawai'ian.... the neglect and lack of attention to the schools is tragic. Hawai'i as a state is NOT preparing it's students to be the future "leaders," of the state. sad indeed....

:?/

I'm moving to HPP in Jan. 2007 from Kapahulu. In town my 8 year old goes to what I think is the best public elementary school in Hawaii. Though my boy is a rascal at times, violent he is not! In town my boys goes to Liholiho Elementary School. As far as I know the only "Blue Ribbon" school in Hawaii last year! More than 60% of the student body is from out of district, that's how good the school is. One of my boys's classmates father is Troy Fernedez of 'Kauu Crater Boys'. Every Xmas time he does a Ukelele concert for the kids there at Liholiho. So to put my boy into public school in Kea'au is crazy!!! But the one thing I kept hearing when I tolf people I was moving BI. "Oh, it's such a great place to raise kids", is what I heard over and over.....than I read all about this in Kea'au, and it makes me sick to my stomach.

So I have a question about the Charter schools. Are they all considered private, or public schools? I mean is there an annual fee to send my kids to a charter school? I need an idea of how much it's gonna cost. The whole move to the Big Island is quickly becoming very expensive experience. But that would all be okay if I knew for sure my kids are gonna be in a good learning enviornment at there school. It's hard enough to move a kid away from friends and old school, so I want this to go down smoothly as possible.

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Charter schools are public.

Here's a link to a site showing all the Hawaii charter schools.
http://www.hcsao.org/hicharters/profiles

Beachboy, Charter schools are free, public buses for now are free, bt school buses ar not. HPP is serviced by school bus to the local schools, Connections has school buses in downtown Keaau, but I do not think that there is pick up yet in HPP. Just another little thing to look at (oh, the public Heleon Buses can stop along HWY 130, esp. if the driver knows about the pickup - call a day ahead, or talk to the route driver - one lady from HPP has an umbrella with "Bus Stop" printed on it, and it does!). The Heleon bus goes downtown, the bus terminal is close to the Connections school.
Aloha, Carey

We live in HPP and our daughter goes to H.A.A.S. charter school in Pahoa. She loves it, and we are quite happy with what we have seen. Good communication from the teacher, and a challenging curriculum(Natalee often complains about how advanced their math program is). Our experience with the public schools was that the students were not being challenged, just being babyset for the day.
Aloha,
Mark

School talk.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA