Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Local sources of Antixx or Firefighter Fire Ant baits?
I believe CPS moved to Keukaha somewhere. I bought Antixx at a farm coop off Kawili near the HWY. don’t remember name but it is two or three streets up -road begins with an O (I think). Used once but bad for bees so Tango it is for now.
(08-30-2022, 08:40 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: terracore -
Do you have any additional comments about Maxforce Complete?
Better or worse than Antixx when the bag was fresh?
Would you recommend it?

While its too early to compare it to other products I've used for longer periods of time, so far I'd have to say the Maxforce Complete is the best product I've used yet.  It kills them faster than Siesta and so far they haven't come back, so it appears to be killing them without as much reapplication.  In reading about the Maxforce Domino Effect® the dead ants become poison themselves, so they don't just take it back to the nest and kill others by feeding them, just contact with their dead bodies will kill off what hatches next. 

The bait is irresistible to them. The swarm all over it and try to carry it away with them.  For the most part the granules are too big but I do see some struggling with the smaller pieces. 

And best yet- It’s cheaper than the other less effective options and is labeled to control cockroaches too.
So here's the latest:

The Maxforce Complete is rain resistant. I did a big broadcast spreading and it rained about an hour later (the forecast lied). I checked an area where I spread enough I could see the ants on it and they were still there eating the wet bait. I just checked again a few hours later and the ants are still going crazy for it.
Thanks for the recommendation, just picked some up!

Are you just spreading it? I was thinking of trying some PVC pipe bait stations too.
(09-25-2022, 05:18 AM)randomq Wrote: Thanks for the recommendation, just picked some up!

Are you just spreading it? I was thinking of trying some PVC pipe bait stations too.

At first I just put some in problem areas but then I broadcast spread it.  I tried throwing some up into the trees with limited success on the palms.  I'd like to find an easy way to bait the trees.

Where did you buy yours?  I noticed Amazon jacked the price up $10. I just bought another 4 pounds off an ebayer.

I couldn't find an expiration date for it.  I read on a DIY pest control site that the product has no expiration date but they recommend using it within 1-2 years after opening it depending on conditions.  The Antixx expires 6 months after manufacture.
Amazon, glad I ordered it when I did, it's $8 higher than what I payed.
I seem to have the LFA's from hell. Nothing seems to kill them. I had used Tango every six weeks for several years with great success then a few months ago it stopped working. Then I tried Amdro, Antixx and Optigard. No effect. I took some into the ant lab today and they verified that yes, they are LFA's and suggested I go back to the Tango on a monthly basis. Would Avant or Maxforce be any different? Any other suggestions?
Maxforce works.  
I’ve tried the others, which were at best temporary.  Maxforce also kills cockroaches as a secondary benefit.  It’s a granual in a plastic shaker bottle so easy to apply, no mixing.  You don’t have to be a chemist of a chef to prepare it for application. Worth every penny.
I kinda enjoyed mixing up the poison peanut butter...
Yeah, mixing it is fun but I don't like the cleanup. I think I'll try the maxforce and see how that goes. And by the way, the ant lab gave me their new mixing instructions, now using corn oil. It's a whole booklet, not just the one page recipe.