Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Old Lahaina Town Utterly Destroyed - Recovery & Relief Efforts
Building code requires our homes to be able to handle simultaneous hurricanes and earthquakes, but they can still be made out of wood...
https://apnews.com/article/hawaii-maui-l...65f3f749f7

Unfortunately Lahaina will most likely become a resort town.  I predict a mass exodus to Vegas or Cali.

Everything changes, nothing stays the same, supply and demand, spring and fall.
CNN has a post up about FEMA’s 10 cadaver dogs and their handlers brought in from California, Nevada and Washington and what the process entails. 

Having been a dog owner all my life, fellow dog owners know how deep the bond between human and dog can be. But the bond with these handlers and their special trained dogs must be beyond comprehension to be able to do what they must do for hours and hours and days and days. 

Not posting link out of respect. Google it if you want to read it.
“We are the first generation to feel the impact of climate change and the last generation that can do something about it.”

— Barack Obama
(08-15-2023, 02:09 AM)HiloJulie Wrote: Not posting link out of respect. Google it if you want to read it.

You've made several posts with your pseudo-censorship comment.  I'm not sure I understand the point.  If you don't want to share the information, why bring it up?

I've never been a dog handler but I have helped teams train.  Some of the training aids that aren't hard to get used for cadaver dogs are human placentas, teeth, hair, blood, etc.  Bones are a little more difficult to acquire but are (or at least they were) legal to purchase and ship without any permits etc.

If you want to know some really disturbing things, research what the US Navy trains marine mammals to do.  Not posting links out of respect to Punaweb's TOU.  Google if you want to read it.
pseudo-censorship comment. 

I’ve seen a number of videos on YouTube taken by residents of Lahaina as they evacuated.  One was so disturbing I couldn’t sleep well that night.  I think it’s difficult to put ourselves in the rubber slippers of survivors, or people who may have friends or relatives still missing, and what might upset them.  Sure, you can say a person posting can put up a warning, but any detailed warning might be as bad as seeing an image.
The primary reason I won’t post links that discuss the morbid facts the people who have perished went thru as well as what the search and rescue people are now dealing with is to prevent exactly what HOTPE mentioned. 

As well as out of respect. 

And if that falls under pseudo censorship then that’s too bad.

I doubt that there is one poster here on PunaWeb including myself that could spend 5 minutes doing what the rescue teams are doing. 

I wonder what the response would be if instead of me saying what I just said above, I just simply replied “NO COMMENT “
“We are the first generation to feel the impact of climate change and the last generation that can do something about it.”

— Barack Obama
99 souls lost. 

According to Maui Police Chief, notifications have begun for those identified and once complete, names will be released. Keep in mind that in accordance with Hawaii State Law, release of decedent names CANNOT happen until next of kin has been notified.

Maui Police has also stated that those anywhere in the world with missing relatives can call a number and they will coordinate DNA sampling with the relatives local Police. 

FEMA now has a total of 20 cadaver dogs and their handlers on site.

One complete and total idiot arrested for trespassing. Reports of looters as well.

Social media becoming ablaze with lunatic fringe conspiracy theories.

As for what Maui is to become after this, consider that a number of survivors have been already contacted by LOCAL real estate agents trying to get them to sell. 

LOCAL Hawaii businesses taking advantage of local Hawaiians at their most vulnerable state. 

Absolutely disgusting.

ETA: On the bright side, the State's leading arborist says the famed Banyan Tree has signs of life and may very well survive.

— Barack Obama
The rate at which this disaster unfolded is similar to a plane crash. You can't really have sirens for such an event. There are also first hand accounts of people wandering around gawking in the critical minutes before the flames hit the town What is needed is a complete revamping both of infrastructure and peoples' attitudes. Nobody recognized that this could even happen.
Can't recognize that the dry side gets wildfires?
https://youtu.be/HjA9yLP1icg

Good experiment of how houses catch fire in cases like these. Explains how we have burned down houses surrounded by green vegetation.