Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
200 Surveillance Cameras Will Be Installed In Pahoa
Fortunately for Puna residents with warrants, there are many home delivery options now available.

There will be 200 cameras focused on keeping a watchful eye over Pāhoa town to enhance public safety and help tackle several pressing issues faced by the community in the heart of Puna on the Big Island.

The Hawai‘i County Council on Wednesday voted 9-0 to adopt Resolution 487, which grants $65,000 in county geothermal relocation and community benefits funds through the Hawai‘i County Planning Department to the Pāhoa Lava Zone Museum for the purchase, installation and maintenance of 25 surveillance systems, each consisting of 8 cameras, in downtown Pāhoa.

Cameras will cover a continuous corridor of key areas in downtown Pāhoa including businesses, sidewalks and public spaces as well as other county assets. They will be mounted throughout about half a mile from Post Office Road to Paul’s Repair Services along the community’s main street of Kea‘au-Pāhoa Road.

https://bigislandnow.com/2024/05/17/200-...own-pahoa/
Okidoki. We did this once before. The cameras were stolen.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I was about to ask, "And how long do you think it will be before the cameras are stolen?" Based on Rob Tucker's post, I'd say not long. Your tax dollars at work.

I guess they never thought of simply strictly enforcing the law every time one of the low life types does something illegal, which is pretty much constantly. But no, that would require actually doing some basic grunt level police work and having judges and prosecutors who actually believe in locking up criminals.
The other time they did this, the police were supposed to monitor the cameras, then later stated, "We don't have any people to do that."

What they should do is to allow the feeds to be public and let the public watch and report what they see.
Another missed opportunity by Hawaii County. 

Turn this into a revenue stream. 

Only fans subscriptions of various “ratings” starting at $9.99 per month!

“Pahoa After Dark”
“Pahoa Crack Heads”
“Pahoa Visitors Robbed”

And for those into the really morbid stuff:

“Pahoa Poopers”
We did this once before. RT

Wasn't it called "Weed & Seed"? Pretty sure they smoked all the "Weed" and planted the "Seeds".

Well, at least someone's cousin or contributor will get a fat contract. That's the main thing.

I love the public viewing idea. Puntatics in their natural environment.
(05-17-2024, 08:10 PM)leilanidude Wrote: The other time they did this, the police were supposed to monitor the cameras, then later stated, "We don't have any people to do that."

What they should do is to allow the feeds to be public and let the public watch and report what they see.

Modern security cameras don't need to be watched.  Of course I don't know what type of cameras they are installing but it's common to use ones that track things automatically including zooming in on them.  They can be configured to send an alert if suspicious movements are noticed or at the very least keep a record so if somebody gets mugged or whatever, there should be a video of it that the cops can say they can't use for [insert whatever BS reason].

A lot of the new camera systems being installed use 3D modeling and can tell the difference between two people meeting and hugging versus an attempted abduction.  Of course, I highly doubt that $65k for 200 cameras is going to result in anything with AI capabilities but who knows.  The annual subscription fees would probably be more than that.  We have cheap security cameras for our properties and they didn't have any of these capabilities when I bought them but if I want to subscribe to their cloud service they can use AI on the video feeds from dumb devices and the capabilities are improving all the time.  While they are primarily used for security, even on the cheaper consumer end they can recognize things like people who have fallen on the floor and didn't get back up or if a room is getting flooded, etc and push out alerts to do things like monitoring the elderly or noticing a water leak in an unoccupied building.  Basically if there is a video feed the number of things the AI can be trained to look for is only limited by the resolution of the camera.  Maybe a 5 year old camera can alert a property owner to the presence of rodents, but a newer one can alert them they need to spray for cockroaches.  It's not just for security anymore.  I even saw a security system that integrates with the vacuum robot- if an alarm sensor gets triggered in an area that doesn't have a camera, it will send the robot to check it out with it's onboard camera.  And that was a couple of years ago.  Good news:  no intruder, and it will clean the floor on it's way back to base and with LIDAR enhanced object recognition, it will steer around the dog shit.  Or whatever species it came from (people in HOVE might have these robots).
(05-17-2024, 05:37 PM)Rob Tucker Wrote: Okidoki.  We did this once before.  The cameras were stolen.
Bur not before the drug dealers moved down to Kehena.

They quit paying for it because the weed & seed grant ran out.