Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
earthquake!
Felt it here in southern Hawaiian Acres. We were a bit spooked with the volcano uphill and the hurricane upwind and all.

Aloha,
Benjamin
quote:

5.3... It was a pretty good shaker in HPP knocked a few soda cans off the fridge and seemed to empty the water bowls for the dogs. I was wondering how all the water got on the floor.

Hmmm, Floods, Hurricanes, High Winds, Earthquakes and Lava Flows! Whoohoo! What's next?

It was only 5.3? It about knocked me down, felt pretty strong to me. I was in the Slymar quake of 1971 and that one was over 7.1 if I remember correctly ? But this one felt strong,...different for sure though. Slymar was a roller type, this was a jolt.

Hey, so when and where is the "after Shock" party?

Edited by - beachboy on 08/13/2007 20:03:22
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Seaview was swaying O.M.God. Coming from living on the San Andreas fault I gotta say, it was a good one.

Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Civil Defense says 5.4 centered in north puna!

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
That was a big jolt here in Black sand Beach . It felt more like a 6 or 7 to me. Broke some glass (including the new vase I got from Ross today). I joked earlier about only needing an earthquake to have the trifecta (Hurricane-lava-quake). Sorry about that, I feel personally responsable.

I can't believe it was only 5.3! I've lived in Alaska for 31 years before moving to HPP and have been through several 7+ earthquakes and the one this evening was more in line with a 7.0 quake. My house in HPP (5th street) shook and swayed violently for about 20 seconds. I thought the house was going to collapse.

5.6 check it out.

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/last_event_sta...awaii.html

But where was the epicenter.

Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
The USGS National Earthquake Information Center reported a magnitude 5.6 on the Big Island while others say 5.3 or 5.4. Whatever it was, it FELT worse than last October here in HPP.

Ka-Bang! This felt stronger than the one last October. Shook a lot of stuff off our walls. The weirdest part was watching the living room change shape and then go back to normal when it was over. We felt it for about 20 seconds. Preliminary reports are that it was centered 4 miles southeast of Pu'u O'o crater. Probably has something to do with the volcano plumbing.

Cheerfully shaken, not stirred,
Jerry

quote:
But where was the epicenter.

The USGS earthquake site has the epicenter between Pu'u O'o crater, Kalapana, and Ka'ena Pt. There have been about 4 aftershocks when I last checked.