Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano acting up
I agree with Lee and Jody that Jim was put in difficult position. There were people there who apparently expected him to give them an exact location and timetable. There were others who expected him to answer questions about civil defense issues and other things that only politicians (God help us with those)could answer.

When Jim finished, most of us had a lot of respect for him. About half (or more) of the crowd left when he did, and many of us who stayed for the mundane business of HPP had a stange, eerie feeling at first. When I thought about it, though, I understood that the best thing we could do was to go on with our lives and our community business. Knowing that it could all be taken away makes it just that much more important that we do it right.

Cheer up folks!
Jerry

When Jim finished, most of us had a lot of respect for him.

I couldn't agree more. Definitely would not want his job.

Aloha,
Jody

Thank you for the report. I feel as if I had been there. I don't know what has happened to civility these days. Yes, after obsessively watching these reports every single day since August 9th, I have to say that his assessment can be read between the lines. At present, it is a slow moving flow meandering in our general direction, and not South. But shield volcanoes are built out of successive layers of lava. It is not surprising that lava might fan out over a wide area.

It was nice of him to avoid widepsread panic, but tube plus pahoehoe does not bode well.

Large earthquakes, new fissures, the shutdown of Pu'u O'o. We seem to have something new here.

And this appears to be taking place in human, and not geologic time. Thanks everyone.

Edited by - glen on 10/29/2007 12:11:06
Here is a link to a story in todays Honolulu Star-Bulletin:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/10/29/news/story02.html

why wouldn't they put a good use the heat seeking technology that green harvest uses? Surely the lava must be much hotter than a pot plant, even if its in a tube. i would think just the movement of heat alone could likely be spotted from the air.

kate
kate
Kate, heat locating technology is being used by the guys at HVO to track the lava flow. This subject was mentioned at yesterday's meeting. It is especially useful in locating lava tubes.

Cheers,
Jerry

Great thats a relief! so how far along did they say the lava is so far? I thought they were saying couldn't tell how far it's come down, because it was underground in a tube.

kate
kate
it's always possible Kilauea could stop erupting. I mean, it's already set a world record for longest continuous eruption, so it's overdue, in volcano society, for some R&R. I hope.

Yes Kathy, it could stop. On the other hand Mauna Loa or Hualalai could go off (they are overdue) and relieve the pressure.

I think a lot of people at the meeting (which I attended) were frustrated because Jim could not give them a definite answer to "what will happen?" These volcanoes seem to be rather unpredictable!

Jerry
Art and Orchids B&B
http://www.artandorchids.com
Jerry
Art and Orchids B&B
http://www.artandorchids.com
Sorry if I am asking something already asked or that can't be answered, but does anyone know whether or not the Nanawale Estates area would be affected? (I am not speaking of 130 but the actual lots/homes themselves.) Thanks.