Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Champagne Pond - Best solutions?
Oh, the mood has finally turned. All of the roads and the tennis court area are common property in Kapoho Beach Lots and maintained by the subdivision, and they could put whatever they want on them. True there is no parking allowed by the Board and bylaws, but that's not an issue is it. There are three public access easements that should be ten feet wide and county maintained, but neither is true. Any of which, if set up to standards, could be home to rent-a-luas.

Again, there are solutions and they're not difficult to figure out. All the rhetoric and name-calling in the world is not going to change the reality on the ground. The us-versus-them mentality needs to stop. Seriously.

Frankly, I was disappointed after being called a treasure of misinformation, that there was only one example given. And this by a new member with exactly one post. Wonder why...?

Jerry and Tolleys --
I'm not an expert on vacation rental legality on the BI, much as I'd like to be! I have tried to figure it out.

Tolley, SFR is single family residence. This zoning means no more than 5 unrelated people under one roof, IIRC.

The Big Island never passed a law providing for permitted vacation rentals (unlike Oahu), so there is no legal/illegal as far as permits go.

Tax licenses comply with State regulations, but do not mean you comply with County zoning.

I don't like the use the word of the word "illegal" for Big Island vacation rentals that pay their taxes. It's an ambiguous situation. I like to save the word illegal for real crimes rather than zoning non-compliance, which to me is an infraction, not a crime. YMMV

As far as I can determine, Residential zoning doesn't permit rentals of less than 30 days duration. But that doesn't seem to be enforced. Some subdivisions may have CC&R's forbidding vacation rentals. That's a whole different deal.

Edited by - KathyH on 10/29/2007 21:21:24
There is alot of Grey area in the Vacation Rental area. There are laws being considered now. Checkout.
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/site1/search/billsearch.asp?currpage=1&UseSavedQ=TRUE&id=205696&Previous=Previous

So I would say most of the legal aspects will be more defined soon.

Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
quote:
... a private cesspool set up to serve a household of 2-4 people is not adequate to serve the 8-15 listed in the vacation rentals. That level of raw sewage seepage multiplied several times (50? 75? 100?)over for each vacation rental and I think that people swimming at the Pond with rent-a-luas available becomes a non-issue. Unless you have your vacation rental business to protect and need to keep all other people out of "your" Pond.

I agree! If you buy a house in Kapoho (beach lots, Vacationland or I think Farm lots too), you should be prepared to replace the antiquated cesspool with a updated wastewater system. Then and only then, can you open your mouth and whine about "them" - them being the tourists, the locals with 4WD's or Kapohokine's group.

Edited by - kapohocat on 10/30/2007 06:21:00
A treasure indeed!! The tennis court land is owned by Kapho Land and Development and is leased by a group of residents for the sole purpose of tennis. The accesses are part of the private roads deeded to the resident community for water access by the residents. They are maintained by the residents and the county is not involved in any way. Does the number of postings determine in any way, truth???

Kapohocat. Point well taken. 8-15 people per unit on occasion is alot of ____ dumping right into the shoreline. Septic sytems near the pond would be nice.

Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
quote:
Oh, the mood has finally turned. All of the roads and the tennis court area are common property in Kapoho Beach Lots and maintained by the subdivision, and they could put whatever they want on them. True there is no parking allowed by the Board and bylaws, but that's not an issue is it. There are three public access easements that should be ten feet wide and county maintained, but neither is true. Any of which, if set up to standards, could be home to rent-a-luas.

Again, there are solutions and they're not difficult to figure out. All the rhetoric and name-calling in the world is not going to change the reality on the ground. The us-versus-them mentality needs to stop. Seriously.

Frankly, I was disappointed after being called a treasure of misinformation, that there was only one example given. And this by a new member with exactly one post. Wonder why...?

To Joesph1:

Be assured that the number of postings or your length of registration on Punaweb are of no matter. Welcome to our little forum.....

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
The bottom line is the threat to the Kapoho Bay ecosystem. The biggest threat to the ecosystem isn't visitors, but the multitude of homes that seep their cancerous waste into the porous ground. It cracks me up to hear the residents cry; "save the environment", when they mean; " This treasure is for us only".

We need more responsible business owners like Kapohokine, and fewer anti aloha groups like the Gate builders. "Keep out" is no solution as long as the proponants are the largest part of the problem.

Thank you Moderator,
For making all feel welcome.
C.

Edited by - chip on 10/30/2007 09:30:38