Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And this is saving the environment?
Has everyone lost their minds? Shipping 150,000 dead trees across the ocean? I guess the party just goes on... This really shows that people in Hawaii could care less about the environment. Truly, there is no excuse for this. You want to stop the ferry? Save the whales? Does anyone remember my post about cutting down all the trees on the big island. No need! We will ship them in from Oregon! Then we can put them in the land fill! I would laugh if it was not so pathetic... humans deserve what is coming...

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/new...20.art.htm

you're singing to the chior, I'm sure MOST of those trees will go to Oahu. We're, thank godess, on the BI where if you couldn't find a cook island pine or sprouted coconut then you didn't look.

KEEP PUNA RURAL
Yeah, there's another thread about xmas trees Jane started that warns about the possibility of fir trees spreading something called sudden oak death, which could become a threat to native species. Oh man, what next? Also on that thread there are a lot of great ideas for cool alternatives to mainland xmas trees. Maybe it's another example of how you really have to reevaluate eveything when you come to Hawai'i, because the mainland status quo is often inappropriate and could even be harmful. This place already has such a wonderful mix of cultures and traditions...I've really enjoyed learning about the many local customs during this season like pounding mochi and even the Pahoa Holiday Parade! I guess we all bring a little something with us from where we came...the main thing is to be willing to adapt and respect what's already here.

Aloha,
Mitzi

Don't try to change Hawai'i...Let Hawai'i change you.
Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
like this one

Don't try to change Hawai'i...Let Hawai'i change you.

KEEP PUNA RURAL
quote:
......I've really enjoyed learning about the many local customs during this season like pounding mochi..

When my mom first moved here 10 years ago right before Christmas, everyone in Honomu was talking about making "mochi" ... Mom was aghast at how openly we talked - making it in the carport, or on someboy's back lanai, and then there was the headline and picture of the Mayor making mochi ... which is when she discovered "making mochi" wasn't the Hawaii term for making love... We laughed so hard we about pee'd our pants!!!!!!!

We still give her a hard time every New Year's Day about it and SHE STILL BLUSHES!!! hahaha
I believe he was talking about the aina's sake not goodness. After all the goodness is but a sales pitch. How even afetr we've been doing it for 50 years so it must be ok? WHAAAAAT?

Better for his point it's been going on for so long.
Not one of those people who buys an "imported dead" tree will have NO place to complain if they get stung by one german wasp.

Oy ve'

KEEP PUNA RURAL
there's bigger fish to fry

About 8 years ago when cleaning out and shredding my files, I noticed when I dumped the shredder onto the floor, the paper piled up in a cone just like a christmas tree. I haven’t bought a single live or plastic christmas tree since that day and this year, I will cheerfully decorate my 7' recycled tree using ornaments found over the years on dead trees at the christmas tree collection site.

One year I was south of Halfmoon Bay, in Cali. and I collected 2 white plastic buckets, that I picked up off the beach, and filled it with all the plastic and rubber thongs, beer rings, MvD's styrafoam, Shell Oil empty containers, fishing nets, etc you get the picture. But when I came upon a tossed tensil tree that was it!

I took all the stuff and decorated the tree, took it to the county seat and left it decorated the in front. With a note Merry Plasticmas.

I can't think of one Christmas in my adult life where I paid cash for a dead tree. Seems so utterly rediculous, tradition aside. My parent bought them when i was a kid but hey it was the 50-60's and green like organic wasn't popular yet. I do remember my mom stopping the buying of dead trees. Still have a picture of the one tensil one they got with the rotating color light wheel.lol

Last few years I've decorated my truck with lights for the Keaau Christmas Lights parade, then drive around the side of my house with the lani and park it outside the livingroom window and pluh it in. I'll post a pic.

KEEP PUNA RURAL
My friend Sonia in Honomu cut a branch from an iron wood and decorated it with small anthriums one year. Thats was cool!