Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Champagne Pond - Best solutions?
quote:
.....When the vehicles arrived it became unmanageable.

It is more important for everyone to have all their stuff there or to have it clean and beautiful with fish and Honu?

So many people talk about the place without mentioning those that live there.... the marine creatures we claim to respect and enjoy so much.

Rob great question you pose about the marine creatures. How about the others that lived there and visited there from way before cars were even in Hawaii?

I really liked your previous response of renaming the ponds to something less glamorous.

Edited by - damon on 12/05/2007 18:54:11
Porta-potties are better than nothing, but nothing is better than reducing the amount of people that used the pond. That's the primary source of pollution. Yes, the landowners would benefit, but I don't mind benefitting those landowners. I've met a few of them. They would not be the only beneficiaries. The real beneficiaries would be the people of Puna and the aquatic life in the pond. Upthread, I talk about the time that I went with my sister (we were staying in Kapoho) and there were a bunch of screaming people, chasing the turtles, photographing them from a foot away, swimming after them, thrashing excitedly. It's like the yahoos on Kauai who do everything but chase the monk seals back in the water. They seem to have difficulty with quiet reverence for these creations. That quiet brings you closer, not further, from these creatures.

No, I think closing the road off is the best way to reduce traffic to the pond. I recognize it is an inconvenience for visitors, but there are ways to the pond if you really want to get there.

They may also just need to simply close it off until we can get our act together. We can't just sit by while stuff from the backside of humans slides into a volcanically heated pond.

I wonder how http://www.kapohokine.com/sc/adv.tours.php this tour group is allowed to serve alcohol at the "champagne pond".

I wonder if the alcohol intake may also lead to more bladders being released?

"Here you will enjoy a gourmet lunch and refreshments including champagne and locally brewed mehana beer"

Edited by - damon on 12/05/2007 20:37:19

Edited by - damon on 12/05/2007 20:38:57

Edited by - damon on 12/05/2007 22:13:43

Edited by - damon on 12/05/2007 22:14:13
On a sad and somewhat related note, there's a brilliant gregarious Puna 4th grader whom you might want to keep in your thoughts and/or prayers and/or wishes-for-wellness over the next few days.

He had to be airlifted to Honolulu last night and is currently undergoing dialysis following the deadly combo of 1) a couple mosquito bites, 2) a swim along that warm polluted Puna coastline, and 3) a course of antibiotics that apparently didn't work.

Thanks All.
Be careful out there, yah?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by - malolo on 12/05/2007 22:38:12
Thank you for letting everyone know. We will keep the little guy in our thoughts. We will also remember that our current lack of a policy has actual consequences for real people, especially the kapuna, the keiki, and those with compromised immune systems.

We need to block the road.

I will sure be thinking of this boy ...
is anything online about him? news story?

The other day I read an apropos comment about the rising anxiety levels of those who have lived here awhile. They once imagined themselves holders of vast, uninhabited jungle acreage (and warm ponds), due to the absence of the actual landowners. Then we showed up, crumpling their illusions beneath the weight of capitalism. All property is theft. What we sometimes forget is that we are all thieves, believing there is an I-got-here-first rule that bars entry for others.

Yah if everyone who used the ponds exercised responsibility then we could all use them with little discussion. So here's my suggestions:

Pack it in, pack it out.

Pick up other trash you see.

Dont pee. Like we do with the kids, take the safety pee, before you come down.

If you live here, dont wait for the mandated replacement of cesspools, do it now. Also remember that whatever you use to clean with that runs down the drain, goes into the water eventually.

Dont feed the fish to attract them. Dont feed them bread, anything.

Take only pictures. Dont take rocks, or coral or anything else.

Dont bring a car down that leaks any kind of fluid.

I'm sure everyone can add more!
Some other ideas:
Respect what is not yours
Be willing to pay to correct the damages others have done
Be willing to put your effort, time and energy to help make corrections
Realize that correcting the actions of others will take time, effort and a lot of money
Respect the state and county officials that are now charged with trying to correct this mess

No action at this location will be easy or quick for the state or the county. There are many regulations that are in effect to protect coastal areas like this. The actions of a few have opened up this area to far more people than the current 'hands off' area should have. The goal of Impact Statements is to try to uncover all potential actions and impacts that can occur. The state and county are mandated to do Impact Statements on coastal zone areas, esp, when gov't monies are involved. Get involved in this process, volunteer to do some of the work needed, if this is your passion (and esp. if it is your profession, you should definately be putting a percentage of your monies into this). It definately will open your eyes to the process! (Yes, I have volunteered at this location, I helped gather the initial data that was reported in the paper (OK, it was a school project, but that means I paid to volunteer!))

Glen? KathyH? Mahalo for your very kind words, and pumping your positive energy out into the pool.

(And no. Nothing on the web, KathyH. Two of his teachers are friends of mine. And I've met him on several occasions. He just plain emanates genius and goodness. And though I haven't heard anything more since Wednesday, I'm hoping for the best.)

And Kapohocat and Carey?
Terrific suggestions...all of them.