Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wet Salt
I have lived in Puna (HPP) for 6 years now and haven't figured out how to keep salt dry. I have rice in the covered salt shaker but after a couple of days it is soaking wet! Any suggestions out there?

vickiboe@aol.com
vickiboe@aol.com
It's a blessing in disguise, Vicki.
Who among us needs more sodium?

Get a craving?
Eat a pickle!
The restaurant supply store in Hilo sells something that looks like a bread box. It's called a brisker. The owner says it keeps everything fresh, sugar, flour, salt, as well as crackers, etc. Does anyone have any experience with this? I think it sells for about $80. It might be woth it for anyone who seroously cooks.
keep it in the fridge
At some restaurants the salt and pepper are kept in shakers which have screw tops on them. They probably go thru a slot of salt, but it seems to keep it flowing! I have also experienced in several vacation rentals that the salt is kept in the refrigerator. Don't know why that works but it seems to.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I keep my salt (and sugar) in sealed canisters. Doesn't really work for sprinkling it on at the table but I keep a little scoop inside to add for cooking.

Robin
Vicki, we have a shaker we got here, that we keep out on the counter, it has a white spring top with a tight seal. Have had salt in it (with a pinch of rice) for over 2 years, in HPP & now in Downtown Keaau. We either got it at Longs or WalMart...The base is glass and the top is white...it is a smallish shaker (table top size). The salt is dry & pouring. We do keep most of our spices in the fridge, and the Morton salt container is in the fridge, but wanted a shaker that was available without going into the fridge.
We keep our cooking salt in the fridge. That seems to work well. For table salt we turned to a grinder. Like a pepper grinder only you use course rock salt and grind it. Hawaiian sea salts and others have better flavor too.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
yes, we use a grinder too. They sell them in the spice section now. It's the only thing that's really worked for me.
We have a wide mouthed glass container with a tight fitting top. When you want salt you take the top off and take a pinch or spoonful out. Haven't been able to keep it flowing from any sort of shaker.

You can dry salt out in the oven if you like. If it was really damp when going in it might be necessary to crush the salt afterwards.

We occasionally keep the box of salt that we haven't transferred to the glass container in the oven since it is a gas oven and has a pilot light. That keeps it dry and sometimes we will put the glass salt container in there with the lid off to dry it out as well. If you have a gas refrigerator, you can build a "dry box" over the top of the refrigerator which has the exhaust from the fridge keeping things dry inside the box.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson