Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cruise ship meet and greet?
A high school classmate and her daughter are arriving in Hilo on a cruise ship in mid-March, and I would like to meet them and show them around the East Side for the day. Does anyone know the protocol for meeting cruise ship passengers? A neighbor thinks there are security obstacles to meeting right when they come off the ship, but he isn't sure. Do they need to meet me in town? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jerry
you can pick em up at the gate. Have them call you when they leave the ship as they walk toward the gate.

It really is third worldish out there and now that they have pumped up the security you cant go into the terminal to meet them (you could last year)

I went thru the drill yesterday
Thanks, Bullwinkle. I will follow your advice.

Cheers,
Jerry
If you have a harbor access card, you can get to the building the ship folks disembark into. I think you are allowed harbor access once or twice within a one month (or was it six month's?) period if you don't have the card. If the gate guards won't let you in for whatever reason, then you can meet your friends just outside the harbor gate. It isn't that far from where the ships folk come down the ramp. About as far as walking from WalMart to Borders.

There is a security gated area at the end of the gangplank, so when you tell your friends you will meet them outside the gate, let them know it is the gate to the harbor and not the gate to the ship. They come off the gangplank and just keep walking straight out of the building, the harbor gates are right in front on the other side of the parking lot.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
My "auntie" and uncle just came from the mainland. They gave us a time to pick them up, we drove up to the gate, showed the guard our licenses, signed a sheet, and they waved us inside. There's a pick up area; it'll be obvious right away.

It was even easier dropping them off.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
We had the same experience with our Friends as punafish -it was just
last month.
Make sure they have valid ID with them and the cruise ship card for the return.

"Each thing I do I rush through so I can do something else" - Cemetery Nights/Stephen Dobyns
Thanks to all who responded. Nice to know there are options.

Cheers,
Jerry
*cough*

And if you can... make your own lei. Much cheaper and so much more meaningful.

Damon Tucker's Weblog