Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home-made bread in a Dutch oven...
I hemmed and hawed about it and finally decided to bring my favorite 2 pieces of cast iron when we moved over- a dutch oven and a round griddle. I was worried that they might rust, but since I use them everyday and keep them well-seasoned, there has been no problem. I'll be retrieving my fry pans next time.

A long, long time ago (in a country far, far away) I was a camp cook for a tree-planting crew. I used the dutch ovens over (and in) a campfire, 3 meals a day. I LOVE dutch oven cooking! I never made actual loaves of bread, though I have made rolls, biscuits, etc. I think I'll try a loaf sometime, I bet it would come out good. I'd probably just use my basic bread recipe - no reason to change what already works! ;-)

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."
Well, I used the recipe from Mother Earth News in my brand spanking new Dutch oven (the Mah-tha Stewart one from Macy's which weighs a ton!!), and it turned out awesome!!! A bit too brown on the bottom, so next time, will adjust the temperature, but crispy crust on the outside, and inside was soft and chewy with lots of those holes... it was like gourmet bread!! Glen, mahalo for the new recipe with chopped rosemary, beer and white vinegar....I think the vinegar/beer might make it taste tangy, like sourdough, so I'm excited about trying it. The only drawback I can see to this recipe is that it takes about 11 hours from start to finish, so you need to start it first thing in the morning.

Good luck to anyone else who tries this method - it sure was easier than kneading for 20 minutes!!

Katie

Wherever you go, there you are.
Wherever you go, there you are.