Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Hawaii
Hi - I moved here almost 18 months ago. My son and his family have lived here for 7 years and have many friends but I would like to meet people my own age (58). All my friends are in California. There's always plenty to do with my house and land but I would sure like to meet people my age and maybe start some new friendships! I'm kind of tired of always being with youngsters! Ha ha - thanks for any ideas - Aloha, Bonny
Welcome to Punaweb Bonny,

There a good chance you will succeed at finding folks. Nothing beats looking.

It may help if you tell what area you live and perhaps some interests.

It has been long time common knowledge here that a great way to Live Aloha and get into the groove is to join one of the canoe clubs. They have folks of all age groups, it's only done for fun and playing on the water is probably the Hawaiian National Pastime.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Host a Punaweb potluck Party?? It's worked time and time again. Smile

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
you could also come to the scuba sunday all things beach event held the first sunday of every month. we picnic, too. lots of fun. some good friendships have been made.

how about joining the international cooking club? some of the members are from punaweb. some from scuba sundays and a whole lot of different folk.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

If you are interested in the International Cooking Club, there is a dinner planned next Saturday (the 22nd) - for info on the August dinner, email me through the forum

Scuba Sunday is a Beach Fun Day, more about enjoying the beach. In fact, many who go never scuba!

There are so many venues to meet people, including taking continuing ed classes, volunteering at many of the cultural events in Hilo, Volcano & Pahoa, get involved in theater at the East Hawaii Cultural Center, the Palace, UH-Hilo performing Arts Center, Hawaii Concert Society, Hilo Community Players, KDEN, the Akebono Theater in Pahoa. Get active in your community with Neighborhood watch, join the Homeowners Assn if you have one, get involved in many of the worthy charity events around the East Side... so many options!
Bonny,

I agree with all of the above ideas. Also, consider taking some adult ed classes in anything from quilting to cooking. The Community College has them and some area available from the Elderly Services.

There is also a volunteer program for Seniors and Retired people: http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/parks/ead/rsvp.htm and here is a link to various programs and activities available through the county: http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/parks/ead/ers.htm

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Hey Rob can you point me to one of those canoe clubs?

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/
Welcome Bonny - Several of us go to Yoga, Pahoa CC Mon 9:30am & Keaau CC 10am (donation). Great way to meet like minded friends. Also, I've been thinking of starting an easy hiking group, or even just regular walking. I'm afraid to walk alone b/c of the loose dogs (in HPP).
Great group of people at "The Center for Spiritual Growth" meet at the Keaau Community Center on Sunday at 10 am.
http://www.kipukagraphics.net/fcrseh/index.html
Wow! Thank you for all the ideas. I can't believe there are 8 responses to my post in less than 1 day! I'm interested in almost all of them. All the ideas are good ones and this board looks like a real find. I found it after searching for "Puna - related" subjects. Thank you Mr. Tucker for managing this board. Aloha.