Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annoying tour helicoptors
I looked for a thread about this but didn't see one.

Is it my imagination or are there more tourist choppers than ever?

The noise from them is almost CONSTANT!

Why do they have to fly over our neighborhoods?

One flies directly over my place almost every 5 to 10 minutes!

They should have to fly over water until they get to The volcano.

Where's the complaint Dept.? I'm sick of Em'

One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
If you do a search with the keywords "tour helicopters" and tick the "exact phrase" button, several pertinent past threads will come up.
I hear you, kimo! It might be nice to start a new topic as the last one got so strange, but to edit the links in to the top post for reference. You should definitely read the very long topics by Punaweb member Thunderfoot and Darl Evans of Blue Hawaiian. Here they are:

http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4077
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4369
Oh My! Here comes the 'what about the helicopter noise' thread again. Last time some guy showed up saying he was with Blue Hawaii and was all ears and would listen to our observations (complaints) and we all went on and on about it and of course he did nothing, and faded away. I personally think that they (helicopters) should be outlawed over private property, and if they do fly over the business involved should be bared from flying here, period! Baring such drastic measures, I believe, since they (the helicopter company) make money by disturbing us they should have to pay a percentage of their income to every property owner they impact. You might say they should pay royalties to us. I use this model because I make my living from people using things (photographic images) of mine, for their purposes, and do so under license from me, and pay me a percentage of their income for having the right to do so. I have never understood our laws with regards helicopter. They seem to be treated by the government as gods, with rights far beyond those afforded other businesses. I have never seen any complaint go anywhere, except once, when Citizens Against Noise (in the Volcano area) were able to cause one helicopter company that flew out of the Volcano Golf Course area to shut down and move to the Hilo airport. The only advise I have Kimo, is take a deep breath! Because without an incredible amount of energy, that most citizens will not back up, you are just going to get worked up over this and will not get satisfaction in the end regardless.
Not your imagination, the helicopters are very active near us today. One or two overflights, whatevah. Upwards of twenty or more: annoying!
Transportation compliant line for helicopters 329-2484, you can also call 211 to find out numbers, for help in your area on any subject! They should be flying over water, and remain above 500', that is the law.
Tourist helicopters: The sound of money coming to the island.
Thanks for the moral support guys.

I just had to vent.

It seems like they're taking off earlier in the morning too.

So many flying that I worry about one crashing into somebody's home.

I've been on 2 flights in my life and both times I felt like the thing was going down any second. Couldn't wait to get back on the ground.
Loud, gyrating, shaking like an unbalanced washing machine.

All I could think about was all those moving parts and if one fails it's all over.

Sorry to bring it up again. Just ignore Me. Aloha
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
I saw a number of them this morning in the Nanawale Estates area. Weather along the coast probably had something to do with the flight pattern change. They were way over 500 feet up. My guess would be 3000+. Sure, I could hear it, but it was certainly not a life changing event.

Helicopter pilots are trained to fly as high as reasonably possible because in the event of an engine or transmission failure, the ability of the helicopter to make a safe landing increases as the altitude increases due to the way auto-rotation occurs as the helicopter would fall downward. Sure, tour operators want to fly as low as they can to increase the tourists view and tips, but safety is still a primary concern for any pilot. No pilot wants to risk their own life.
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

Oh My! Here comes the 'what about the helicopter noise' thread again. Last time some guy showed up saying he was with Blue Hawaii and was all ears and would listen to our observations (complaints) and we all went on and on about it and of course he did nothing, and faded away. I personally think that they (helicopters) should be outlawed over private property, and if they do fly over the business involved should be bared from flying here, period! Baring such drastic measures, I believe, since they (the helicopter company) make money by disturbing us they should have to pay a percentage of their income to every property owner they impact. You might say they should pay royalties to us. I use this model because I make my living from people using things (photographic images) of mine, for their purposes, and do so under license from me, and pay me a percentage of their income for having the right to do so. I have never understood our laws with regards helicopter. They seem to be treated by the government as gods, with rights far beyond those afforded other businesses. I have never seen any complaint go anywhere, except once, when Citizens Against Noise (in the Volcano area) were able to cause one helicopter company that flew out of the Volcano Golf Course area to shut down and move to the Hilo airport. The only advise I have Kimo, is take a deep breath! Because without an incredible amount of energy, that most citizens will not back up, you are just going to get worked up over this and will not get satisfaction in the end regardless.

What do we outlaw next? Maybe the tour busses that go by all our houses every day[8D]

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....