Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Telcom Needs To Make A Stronger Efffort
I have serious doubts about Hawaiian Telcom’s secured debt holders bankruptcy re-organization plan.Sandwich Isles Communications raised some key questions about this plan recently. These questions revolve around the suspect finances of the new ownership of Hawaiian Telcom (which will directly impact their ability to invest in new infrastructure) and their inability to come up with a viable restructuring plan.

However I would select the secured debtors plan over Sandwich Isles if they made a stronger effort to obtain more federal broadband stimulus money and get Hawaiian Telcom qualified for Universal Service Fund subsidies.These avenues of funding would greatly enable Hawaiian Telcom to improve their aging telecommunications infrastructure and offer new services to stem their land line hemorrhaging .

Nonetheless, I’ve seen very little effort on Hawaiian Telcom’s part to aggressively go after this money. Which will leave them unable to significantly improve their inadequate infrastructure.This lack of foresight will probably force Hawaiian Telcom to file for bankruptcy again in the near future.

The Hawaii Public Utilities Commission needs to thoroughly scrutinize Hawaiian Telcom during this current bankruptcy to prevent the latter from happening again in the future.

Aaron Stene
Kailua-Kona
Seen those Magic Jack commercials? How hawtel going compete with that or worse yet skype??

Other people want to make friends- I just want to make money.
James Cramer
We don't have a land line and our Internet is through Time Warner. A lot of people we know do not have land lines either. We use skype a lot with the video capabilities, though you really have to have a high speed connection and a lot of RAM for it to work properly and many people do not have either of those. The Magic Jack is the same technology except you pay for it and you use a physical phone to communicate. Our cell phones have free long distance so that is not an issue to us anyway. Someday wireless communication will have improved so none of us will need many of the companies that provide service now.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
quote:
Originally posted by Devany...Someday wireless communication will have improved so none of us will need many of the companies that provide service now....

And therein lies one of the problems. Where we are at 1 wireless carrier works well, two are sporadic at best. The others dont work at all. So in this case, it would be merely exchanging HawTel Poor service for poor AT&T's service.
MagicJack does not offer numbers with an 808 area code.
1) hard wire phones always work ... even with a power or internet outage

2) Telecom sold to new players at the top of the bubble... just like folks who overbought a house at the top... the are now being eaten alive by interest.

3) I love it ... while trying to renegotiate their (avoiding responsibility for debt) they hound the users that are late on the bill - grin
With a laptop and dial-up service on a landline I can be online even during a blackout.
Do laptops have mouthpieces what will they think of next? all I know is what I watch on cnbc. there's also vonage and I was trying to avoid mentioning oceanic bundle though maybe I should. I should read Aaron more often but I think Hawtel faces a lingering slide down much worse than building pv panels in Silicon Valley though I'd love to have Solyndra panels but I'm afraid the Chinese glut will be worked off by the time they ramp up.
But I don't know that Hawtel can depend on just customers who don't have oceanic service even with the threat of blackouts.
All I know is what see on cnbc- can you use voip with satellite tv?[:I]

James Cramer
Anybody seen the cover story in Midweek on Eric Yeaman from Konawaena HS? sounds pretty fluffy to me.
Wow- I gotta check Aaron's spin on this!

James Cramer
Skype does not work well with dial up, too slow. Neither do most web sites. And your connection will last only as long as your battery. A wireless card is best if you live in a black out ridden area. That is of course assuming you live in a place where you can even get wireless connections.

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

With a laptop and dial-up service on a landline I can be online even during a blackout.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com