Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions requested on Internet problem?
aloha,

any help/suggestions to this problem would be appreciated.

we are in the process of moving and have called helco to set up a lan line and dsl service (cable not available) now we are getting word that they cannot provide dsl and we are on a wait list 21st on list and last person finally got this after a 5 month wait....this is crucial for our business and something helco is not very accomodating.

does anyone know if you can rent a space that provides fast speed internet service or can suggest any alternatives?

thank you in advance

noel
Perhaps you could get satellite internet until the DSL line becomes available. A bit more pricey but all you need is a view of the southern sky!
thanks for the suggestion but satelite cannot work with our VPN - virtual private network from our company (tried this already which was a costly setup which did not work in our case)

i'm assuming that wireless will probably be the same as satelite and slower.

noel
Have you called Coconut wireless? 930-0100...i've used them for 2 years and while its not perfect , it's not dial up.
I wasnt aware that Helco even offered DSL or Cable Service...

Maybe try Hawaiian Telcom http://www.hawaiiantel.com

Good Luck!!!
I've been on a waiting list for cable for 20 years. If you live out in the sticks or in a private subdivision...they just don't seem motivated to roll out the cable. I've had to go wireless which is faster than dialup....but slower than DSL
My guess is that if a local business cannot be found who would provide the service you need, someone in the area with cable internet would be willing to rent you a small space in order to help out. I know I would if I were there.
We ran into the same kind of problems and ended up getting Laptop Connect through Cingular (now AT&T). At the time, we didn't know about Coconut Wireless or Advanced Wireless
( http://www.awshi.com/fullStory.asp?id=15 )and would go with one of them if we were to do it over again.
Noel, how much access do you need a day?
The internet cafe at the bank closed but the bank (CU Hawaii) still offers internet free to customers at a stand-up table to the right of the entry inside.

We are much further away than Jim and Carey but have a wifi/linksys set up to our cable that you can access from outside our house. If nothing else works out, talk to me.

Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
hello all,

i was thinking hawaii tel not helco....oops. actually my partner needs to have fast speed internet all day so an internet cafe situation might not work since they have alot of teleconferences and IM scenarios that might not work in a shared type of environment...i'll check on the coconut wireless and see if that is any different than satellite.

thanks again for your suggestions....darn that hawaiian tel.

noel