Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does your local economy feel?
quote:
Originally posted by StillHope
800? Is the work in the different state?[Wink]

If you live in Seaview and plan on working in Hilo daily... Expect around the same depending on what you drive.

-------
General Election Unofficial Poll
quote:
Originally posted by lostboystoy....What I am afraid is going to happen. Is if all those homes go back on the market (which is already flooded) it is going to dramatically decrease the value of every ones homes....

Pollyanna says "But then your property taxes will adjust accordingly".....[Smile]
We left Puna and moved to Phoenix about 7 months ago. First time to live in Arizona. Love having sunshine everyday and Big open sky. We found the people here to be very friendly. Economy here seems to be doing well except for real estate which has taken a big hit but the Malls and restaurants are bustling. So very nice to take walks thru our neighborhood on real sidewalks without the fear of being attacked by pit bulls.
Lee
quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

try 50 miles one way in a suv (they are upside down in that also) ..... (riverside -orange county add to that toll charges for the 91 by the way --- 10 bucks last I used it on a friday eve) worst of it is there are whole sub developments / cities of folks facing the same issues

I know from experience fuel in so cal hurts. I blow thru $250 a week - social driving oc to san diego / carlsbad /oceanside - that is where my buddies live, not to mention biz meetings - 37 miles one way to the "shop" in OC from the cabin in cleveland forest) --- and I keep a toyota!

I drive everyday 52 miles on a moderate gas consuming vehicle-less than $200 a months.
Has anyone considered the shortest path to sustainability could be shifting to a digital economy?

Please come to the Green Jobs Event at the Hawai`i Innovation Center this Saturday and learn why strengthening our digital economies is critical for Hawai`i Island.

Then Hoolaulea!

mahalo

quote:
Originally posted by StillHope...I drive everyday 52 miles on a moderate gas consuming vehicle-less than $200 a months.

How much is gas there?

Because I figure 52 miles / 25 MPG (you said moderate)= 2.08 gals x 30 days = 62.4 gals / then divided by $200 montly ---- I am not a math whiz but that comes to $3.205/gal - we are pay at least $1.10 more a gal here on the Big Island.
quote:
Originally posted by oink

My personal prediction is that the Hawaii market won't find the bottom for 18 to 24 months, at the very best.

I'd like to hear our real estate pros chime in, but I suspect you are correct.

I am watching closely as we would like to purchase a piece of land for investment purposes up in the Kamuela (Waimea) area. It seems that prices there have come down, too, but not as much as Puna.
The coming crash is a precipitant of governmental meddling in the mortgage business.

Some politicians pushed through policy that forced lenders to give mortgage loans to people that were insolvent.

I actually met a guy the other day that made a fortune buying really dumpy shacks, fixing them up and selling them to poor people at inflated values (owner finance) then after a time he'd sell the paper to Freddie or Fannie.

The corrupt CEOs of those companies just wanted more property on the books because that would make the value of holdings look bigger and that was how they could get there insanely huge bonuses even bigger.

I wont mention the political affiliation of the people that were CEOs of Fred and Fannie or which campaign they work for now, but here are the top politicians that took the most donations from Freddie and Fannie:
#1 Chris Dodd

#2 John Kerry

#3 Barack Obama

#4 HIllary Clinton
I know realtors don't like to hear this but, the way things are looking, there may be a fire sell in Hawaii.

most of the property in the Puna subdivisions is investment property, so as investor's stocks and homes become worthless on the mainland and Japan, they are going to beg people to buy there lots so they can pay there own mortgage.

I wont mention the political affiliation of the people that were CEOs of Fred and Fannie or which campaign they work for now, but here are the top politicians that took the most donations from Freddie and Fannie:
#1 Chris Dodd
#2 John Kerry
#3 Barack Obama
#4 HIllary Clinton

ROTFLOL [Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin] It amazes me that anyone could even hint to blame this mess on the DNC.. Wow talk about spin.. Amazing. George Bush and his infusion of lower interest rates as well as his obvious ties to big business in concert with the early congress during his administration built this house of cards. It's coming down, deal with it.. If for instance (Just one example) the bush boys hadn't, along with one of the largest finacial lobby groups on the hill, changed the the bankruptcy laws then many home owners would still be making payments on their homes.. These are the same financial intities that want protection and re organizing. But they don't think the American taxpayer should be afforded these options..

Change of subject- Just last week my wife admitted that we should have moved to Puna a few years back, paid off all of our debt and built a modest home on a lot in.. She thought I'd be happy to hear that.. Hearing three years later, after the fact, does nothing for me or our situation now. I knew when Bush was reelected this was coming.. I fricken knew it aaararrgggg........... but I let her talk me out of moving.. She used many threads from right here to make her case that our son would be treated like an outsider, he would bleed to death in a waiting room because of the limited health care, the cost of living was to high blah blah etc etc.. Well here we are.. Being right, this time, may be something I can't overcome for many years..

I could have forced the move but I honestly thought that would come back to haunt me as well as my wife and sons potential assimilation.. My wife and I have been in and out of the islands for years and we even vowed to come back and raise our son there but she always balked at Puna. She wanted to live on Kaua"i not Puna

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young