Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H-130 Flaggers and One Way Temp. Roads
Is it just me... or does the timing of the Flaggers that are in front of the New Fire Station seem really off?

I can understand once or twice having to be held up for 5-10 minutes at a time...

Today was the 4th time I've been by this little flagging section of H-130 and each time I'm waiting 5 Plus minutes each time. (at least it feels that long)

On Thursday of last week... I waited 10 minutes and I was watching the clock because I needed to be in town at a certain time.

It's times like this when I really think we need a Puna Makai Alternative Route (PMAR)

I'm a bit nervous about how much slow downs there are going to be once the actual H-130 Keaau-Pahoa Highway project begins.

I don't think the people of Puna should be held up for so long because of flaggers.

On Oahu, much road construction is done at night so that it lessens the impact of traffic.

Is there any reason this road work couldn't be done at night as well?
[end]rant[/end][xx(]

-------
My Blog
Wait till you see what happens when HDOT starts to widen Hwy. 130. It took them two years to do the shoulder last go round. How long do you think their current plan will take to complete?

It would be nice if we had a first phase of PMAR in place first. Some alternative. But Hwy. 130 will be an ongoing nightmare when HDOT gets to work burning up $56 million.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Damon

Is it just me... or does the timing of the Flaggers that are in front of the New Fire Station seem really off?

I can understand once or twice having to be held up for 5-10 minutes at a time...

Today was the 4th time I've been by this little flagging section of H-130 and each time I'm waiting 5 Plus minutes each time. (at least it feels that long)

On Thursday of last week... I waited 10 minutes and I was watching the clock because I needed to be in town at a certain time.

It's times like this when I really think we need a Puna Makai Alternative Route (PMAR)

I'm a bit nervous about how much slow downs there are going to be once the actual H-130 Keaau-Pahoa Highway project begins.

I don't think the people of Puna should be held up for so long because of flaggers.

On Oahu, much road construction is done at night so that it lessens the impact of traffic.

Is there any reason this road work couldn't be done at night as well?
[end]rant[/end][xx(]

-------
My Blog

Damon,
First of all Isemoto hires the POLICE to flag, these men are qualified to direct traffic. It's not some guy out there with out any qualifications. I thought they were done crossing the road for the flashing lights, after that item there will be no lane closures.
All excavation is off the road until paving and striping.
Can't work the east side at night because of rain. The production rate would be so low the tax payers would pay double for the same product. Second, how do you pave and stripe in the rain[?]

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I look for my dreams and a pocket full of gold" Led Zeppelin
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
They were out there today in front of the Fire station.

Don't get me started on Construction Companies being "forced" to use Police officers for Flagging Duty.

It is so sad that these police can make more money flagging traffic off-duty then they can working their normal police detail.

In Washington State, you could become a certified flagger in under 6 weeks and get paid $15.00 an hour... and that was your "job" a flagger.

Using Police officers for this type of work is another rip off to us tax payers.

"Directing traffic" LMAO... Stop and Go... I sure hope a cop would be able to know how to use a stop sign.

Hire some kids out of school and let the police do "police" work.

Thanks for the explanation of the night time work...

But if you think about it... it also rains in the day time.

To Answer Rob's Question... well the timeline is in place 2012 (I believe)... but knowing how Hawaii works, they won't stick to that timeline.

-------
My Blog
Also, especially around HPP, the neighbors would complain about noise, and it only takes one.
Gordon J Tilley
I wouldn't want to be hanging around H130 at night.

If the police are off-duty, how is that a rip-off to tax payers?
Taxpayers are forced to pay flag wavers about $35/hr. (police pay at time and a half) If you see the occaisional sergeant out there, it's probably costing us around $50/hr.

I know qualified civilians would be eager to work for half that amount.

*cough* I know someone who would do it for 1/5th of what a Sargent makes.[B)]

The point of the matter here is they need to speed up the intervals of the stop and go's.

Were really gonna be screwed here in Puna if an Earthquake ever takes out H-130 for a few days.

-------
My Blog
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

Taxpayers are forced to pay flag wavers about $35/hr. (police pay at time and a half) If you see the occaisional sergeant out there, it's probably costing us around $50/hr.

If this is an off-duty special duty assignment position:
The County's Finance Dept bills the vendor for the cost. The cost per hour paid by the vendor is slightly higher than what the Officer actually gets paid. This covers the administrative cost, vehicle cost, etc. The vendor pays the taxes on that pay as well.

However, if this is a taxpayer funded project, the vendor just passes this higher cost along to the agency. Also, the off-duty officers are still coved by the County if anything goes wrong.