Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kim slaps down GMO ban

There is a prize if one does make a GMO Pot plant.

-------
My Blog
"Please elaborate with credible information and references."

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Hu...food.shtml

Farmers and breeders have always looked for beneficial traits amongst their crops and herds and promoted their spread in the population by favoring the individuals holding those traits.
GMO is a modern and more efficient way of promoting beneficial traits.
"the case of the Canadian wheat farmer"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto_Ca..._Schmeiser

"over 95% of Schmeiser's canola crop of approximately 1,000 acres (4 km²) was identified as the Roundup Ready variety."

It's quite obvious what was going on there. 95% is not accidental pollination.
quote:
Originally posted by rbakker

"the case of the Canadian wheat farmer"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto_Ca..._Schmeiser

"over 95% of Schmeiser's canola crop of approximately 1,000 acres (4 km²) was identified as the Roundup Ready variety."

It's quite obvious what was going on there. 95% is not accidental pollination.

"quite obvious"?
What do you know about crop pollination?
Accidental pollination can easily happen to an entire crop.
Get informed or get off it!

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
quote:

"Please elaborate with credible information and references."

Farmers and breeders have always looked for beneficial traits amongst their crops and herds and promoted their spread in the population by favoring the individuals holding those traits.
GMO is a modern and more efficient way of promoting beneficial traits.

What GMO does that 'traditional breeding' does not do is take genes from other species, from other genera, and even from other kingdoms (i.e., from animal kingdom to plant kingdom).
It is not comparable to selection within a species, as has indeed been done for centuries.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
Well, if you can't be bothered to read the article then I'll have to quote some more:

"Regarding his 1998 crop, Schmeiser did not put forward any defence of accidental contamination. The evidence showed that the level of Roundup Ready canola in Mr. Schmeiser's 1998 fields was 95-98% (See paragraph 53 of the trial ruling). Evidence was presented indicating that such a level of purity could not occur by accidental means. Based on this the court found that Schmeiser had either known "or ought to have known" that he had planted Roundup Ready canola in 1998. Given this, the question of whether the canola in his fields in 1997 arrived there accidentally was ruled to be irrelevant. Nonetheless, at trial, Monsanto was able to present evidence sufficient to persuade the Court that Roundup Ready canola had probably not appeared in Schmeiser's 1997 field by such accidental means (paragraph 118). The court said it was persuaded "on the balance of probabilities" (the standard of proof in civil cases, meaning "more probable than not" i.e. strictly greater than 50% probability) that the Roundup Ready canola in Mr. Schmeiser's 1997 field had not arrived there by any of the accidental means, such as spillage from a truck or pollen travelling on the wind, that Mr. Schmeiser had proposed."

It is obvious (if you read the article) that in this case, the crop was deliberately planted.

If you know more about accidental pollination than the experts that appeared in court, then please share.
"What GMO does that 'traditional breeding' does not do is take genes from other species, from other genera, and even from other kingdoms"

That's the modern and efficient bit. We're no longer restricted to genetic material within one species.
quote:

If you know more about accidental pollination than the experts that appeared in court, then please share.

Dr. Weatherford is an expert and did appear in court if you will be bothered to read this

If not... I'll just quote it for you:

"The bill is reversible," said James Weatherford, who has 25 years experience in the agricultural field.

"Genetic contamination is not reversible," Weatherford said.

Native Hawaiians testified that taro is not seriously threatened by disease or pests. Also, some said they consider themselves to be descendants of taro, which is why they don't want the plant's genes altered.

-------
My Blog

"In 2006, 252 million acres of transgenic crops were planted in 22 countries by 10.3 million farmers. The majority of these crops were herbicide- and insect-resistant soybeans, corn, cotton, canola, and alfalfa. Other crops grown commercially or field-tested are a sweet potato resistant to a virus that could decimate most of the African harvest, rice with increased iron and vitamins that may alleviate chronic malnutrition in Asian countries, and a variety of plants able to survive weather extremes."

Well, enough about the benefits of GMO. What I'd like to know, from anybody reading this who is against it:
Why are you against it? Please, I would like to know. I can't understand the level of resistance.
Am I missing something? Is there something I didn't read? Thanks.
Fear.....

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii