Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kim slaps down GMO ban
*Cough*

"All we're asking is we should not ban something because of fear," said Alan Takemoto, executive director of the Hawaii Farm Bureau Federation.

His comments drew a swift response from North Kona Councilman Angel Pilago.

"I did not create this out of fear," said Pilago, the bill's author. "You are fearful of the past, fearful of the present and fearful of the future. You're here because you are afraid."

Takemoto said all he's asking is to base the GMO decision on facts and science.

"We are fearful that it is going to go beyond just coffee and taro," he added.

Pilago again responded.

"You, sir, need to be more sensitive when you come to my island and tell us what we should think, what we should do and how we should feel," Pilago told Takemoto, who flew in from Honolulu to attend the meeting...

-------
My Blog
LOL...
that last comment was like the ones that caused me not to vote for him.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Quote:
"In 2006, 252 million acres of transgenic crops were planted in 22 countries by 10.3 million farmers. The majority of these crops were herbicide- and insect-resistant soybeans, corn, cotton, canola, and alfalfa. Other crops grown commercially or field-tested are a sweet potato resistant to a virus that could decimate most of the African harvest, rice with increased iron and vitamins that may alleviate chronic malnutrition in Asian countries, and a variety of plants able to survive weather extremes."

Well, enough about the benefits of GMO. What I'd like to know, from anybody reading this who is against it:
Why are you against it? Please, I would like to know. I can't understand the level of resistance.
Am I missing something? Is there something I didn't read? Thanks."

I think you forgot to add: "Well, we've successfully eliminated all competing crops, regressed to a monocrop culture, introduced Roundup™ to the food chain, plus you have to buy all your food from us and pay whatever we want. Don't worry, like we said when developing Agent Orange; "It's harmless, and for your own good. We're here only to help mankind."

Sorry, but crop diversity is much more akamai and time tested way to prevent blights.
ORGANIC is a far better way. That is all I have to say on the subject.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
"...come to my island..."? Isn't Pilago from Oahu too?

"Takemoto said all he's asking is to base the GMO decision on facts and science."
Too much to ask, it seems.

I think fear of the unknown is definitely part of it. When did GMO crops escape from the lab and start killing people?
Maybe I didn't read the paper that day.

How do the GMO companies eliminate competition? Anybody can grow non-GMO if they want. But they don't want. GMO crops, even though they cost more, bring greater returns to the farmer because they can use less pesticides, survive greater temperature extremes and so on. It's progress. It's free market competition.
Angel Pilago was born on Oahu. His mother was born in Ka`u. I understand his linage traces back, on the Big Island for sisteen generations, to the martial arts trainer for King Kamehameha.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Once wind pollinated GMO crops are grown over a large area those who do not want to grow GMO no longer have that option. In Mexico the open pollinated corn of traditional farmers has been contaminated by round up ready corn. They can no longer save the best of their harvest for next year's planting unless they want to plant round up ready corn. This is a big threat to the food supplies of people all over the world who do not rely on grocery stores to feed their families. The farmers in the Willamette Valley in Oregon who grow pure strains of food crops for seed are very worried that the introduction of GMO crops could destroy their ability to sell "clean" seed. It isn't about fear of science, it is about fear of unbridled greed and the possibility of control of food supplies by just a few large corporations.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Well stated, Carol.

Interesting topic. Can I assume that the few large corporations make no promises that their GMO crops won't contaminate other crop strains? Has anyone ever tried suing the big boys for contamination of crops? (Not suggesting we bring in the lawyers, just sayin'...) And is our legal system even equipped to deal with it? Do the big boys always win? (Dumb question I had to ask.) How much do the big boys control our food supply today?

Tim
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Hmmm. Just like I stated on another thread it is a case of how much justice can you afford? When the company you are battling has assets in the billions how do you fight?

We are fortunate, in my opinion, that we have had a council that sees the big picture and listens to the community. We will soon find out if the new council is of the same caliber.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Yeah, it's tough to beat money. I have no idea how the guy with limited resources would fight this battle. Is it true that no "little guy" has ever sued and won against the Monsantos of the world?

This thread is helping me better understand the issue at a local level. (A good thing since we've gotta keep this conversation local :-)
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius