Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes

Have a favorite recipe to share? Looking for something new and different to savor? Nutritious and delicious, tastes like... Puna!

Please do add unique & flavorful recipes to this online Punaweb community cookbook and try out those which look interesting. Please let us know if you come up with innovations and substitutions which are interesting variations or even improvements on the original recipes.

Here is one for starters:

SWEET POTATO AND PEAR SOUP

1 tablespoon butter
1 small white onion, finely chopped
5 medium organic sweet potatoes (1 lb, 10 oz), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch diced cubes
2 firm pears (1 lb, 2 oz), peeled, cored, and cut into 3/4-inch diced cubes
3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 cup cream or half-and-half (optional)
Mint leaves and fruit wedge to garnish

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add the onion, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until softened but not brown. Add the sweet potatoes and pears and cook, stirring 1-2 minutes. Add the stock to the pan, bring to a boil, and cook on medium for 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes and pears are soft (don't overcook).

Cool slightly, then place the mixture in a blender or food processor and blend in batches until smooth. Return to the pan, stir in the cream, and gently reheat without boiling. Season with sparing amount of salt and ground black pepper. Garnish with the mint and fruit wedge.

Variations: try other sorts of fruit instead of pears in the mix.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Pres. John Adams, Scholar and Statesman

"There's a scientific reason to be concerned and there's a scientific reason to push for action. But there's no scientific reason to despair."

NASA climate analyst Gavin Schmidt

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(
Coconut Crème Brulee

1 c. coconut milk, fresh (best) or canned
1 c. heavy cream
8 Puna egg yolks
5 T. plus 1 tsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 T. light rum (I like Hana Rum)
3 T. sweetened flaked coconut, toasted

In a large bowl, combine coconut milk, cream, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, and rum. Whisk until smooth. Skim off any foam or bubbles. Divide mixture among 6 ramekins or custard cups. Place in a water bath and bake at 300oF until set around the edges but still loose in the center (approximately 50 minutes). Remove from oven and leave in water bath until cooled. Remove cups from water bath and chill for a minimum of 2 hours before serving. (Custards may be refrigerated for up to 2 days.) Sprinkle toasted coconut evenly over custards immediately before serving. (If desired, custards may be caramelized: Before serving, sprinkle 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar over each chilled custard and caramelize with small butane torch. When tops have hardened, sprinkle toasted coconut evenly over finished creme brulee.) Yields 6 servings.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Kona Coffee Rubbed Steaks with Marsala Wine BBQ Sauce

1/3 cup Kona Coffee, finely ground
2/3 cup brown sugar, finely packed
1 Tablespoon allspice
Hawaiian Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste

4 Hawaiian Grass Fed steaks, rib eyes work well with this method

Marsala wine sauce

1 cup of your favorite BBQ Sauce
3 Tablespoons soft butter
1/3 cup finely ground coffee
¼ cup Marsala wine

Method for steaks:
Mix rub ingredients together in a small plate and apply to both sides of the steak. Allow to stand for 4 hours at room temperature. Save drippings and place in sauce.

Mix the sauce ingredients in a large skillet, whisk to combine. Simmer for a few minutes till all ingredients are incorporated.

Heat the grill, sear steaks on both sides. Put them in a sauce pan and pour the sauce over them, heat briefly to incorporate flavors. Remove the steaks and slice on the diagonal and serve on a platter with the sauce.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Barbecued Opihi with Spicy-Sweet Soy Citrus Marinade

Recipe by John Cox for his article in the summer 2008 issue of Edible Hawaiian Islands

Note from Devany: Opihi are an indigenous shell fish. To me they taste and have texture of a combination of abalone and cockles. I agree with John’s method of removing the liver and organs. We had these on the half shell and also grilled with a coconut and pineapple marinade when we were on the Kona side 2 weeks ago and they were awesome.

FYI: Shoyu is a soy sauce, which is a dark brown liquid made from soya beans that have undergone a fermentation process. Natural shoyu employs the use of a centuries-old method of fermentation involving a special koji (Aspergillus oryzae), which converts hard-to-digest soy proteins, starches and fats into easily absorbed amino acids, simple sugars and fatty acids..

If you do not live on the islands you could use tender clams or even mussels for this recipe, but nothing will quite compare to the Opihi, I promise it is worth a trip!

Barbecued Opihi with Spicy-Sweet Soy Citrus Marinade

Another important indigenous food, Opihi, was likely one of the most commonly eaten shell fish in ancient Hawaii. While traditionally enjoyed in it’s entirety , I prefer to remove the liver and other organs, leaving just the clean shucked mussel. This extra step makes the Opihi much more palatable like a young abalone. Again, be respectful of local tradition before attempting to harvest Opihi on your own. Many experienced harvesters have been washed from the rocks by rogue waves in pursuit of these tasty morsels.

20 fresh harvested Opihi (about the size of a half dollar)
4 Cups Aloha Shoyu
2 Cups Brown Sugar
4-5 Tablespoons Siracha chile
1 Kaffir Lime leaf
1 small knob of ginger, crushed
4 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 Tablespoons chopped mint
2 Tablespoons lime juice
4 Tablespoons fresh orange juice

Remove the Opihi from their shells. Using a sharp knife, remove the liver and other organs. Discard the organs.

Clean the shells with a wire brush, removing as much seaweed and dirt as possible.

Return the cleaned Opihi to their shells.

Put the Shoyu and brown sugar in a 2 quart saucepan with the sriacha, lime leave and ginger, reduce by half until large bubbles start to form.

Cool this mixture and spoon over each Opihi.

Put the Opihi with sauce in the refrigerator and allow to marinate for one hour.

Place the Opihi, shell side down on a wood fired grill. Cook just until the marinade starts to bubble, then removed and eat like an oyster.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Tofu in Lime Ginger Sauce

1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
3 tbsps. fresh ginger, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
3 tbsps. lime juice
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt, optional
1/4 tsp. turmeric
1 lb. tofu, cut into 1 inch slices

Combine first 4 ingredients in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth, adding a little water if necessary. Add next 4 ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Transfer mixture to a shallow dish. Add tofu and toss to coat well.
Cover and refrigerate 10 minutes. Spread enough marinade to cover bottom of a large, heavy nonstick skillet. Add tofu to skillet. Spread remaining marinade over tofu.
Cover skillet tightly and cook over medium low heat 15 minutes until tofu is cooked throughout.
Makes 4 servings.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
The Puna Blaze

1 oz Rum
1 oz Vodka
1 oz Gin
1 oz Tequila
1 oz Orange Curacao
1 oz Macadamia Nut Liquor
1 oz 99 Banana
1 oz Coffee Liquor
Juice of two limes
6 oz Pineapple Iced Tea

Shake all ingredients except the Pineapple Iced Tea with ice. Strain it into highball glasses filled with ice and top them off with the Pineapple Iced Tea. Start drinking and you will see a double rainbow soon! [Smile]

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

Steven, I have never had sweet potato soup. I love sweet potato pie and just regular plain old baked sweet potatoes. I did have pumpkin soup a few months back in Jamaica which I thought was really good, but everything there tasted goodWink I'll definitely give your recipe a shot!

Devany, what can I say, your culinary skills echo your style in gracious living. You've inspired me to purchase a butane torch!!

Here is a BBQ Sauce thats easy to make. Everyone who has tasted this sauce wants the recipe. I use it on chicken & spareribs.

BBQ Sauce

1 medium finely chopped onion
1 32 oz bottle of ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder or 2 minced cloves
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
squirt of lemon juice
2 or 3 shakes of worcestershire sauce

Mix & Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs

The smell is a bit potent while cooking because of the vinegar, but once done, your bbq will be slap mammy happy & finger lickin' good!
VEGETARIAN MUSHROOM GRAVY
* 1 pack crimini or white mushrooms, chopped
* 1 small yellow or white onion, minced
* 1/4 cup margarine
* 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
* 1/4 cup flour
* salt and pepper to taste
just cook the mushrooms and onions in the butter until reduced, add veg. broth and allow time to heat. then slowly add the flour until desired thickness.

I also fry up some sage leaves in butter and set aside and add when the gravy is finished.
Magic Cookie Bars - They are always the first to go at any gathering. And all so easy to make!

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1 (14-ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
2 cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350°F (325°F for glass dish). In small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and butter; mix well. Press crumb mixture firmly on bottom of 13X9-inch baking pan.
Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture. Layer evenly with remaining ingredients; press down firmly with fork until the condensed milk rises to the surface.
Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars or diamonds. Store leftovers covered at room temperature.

I should have mentioned the Sweet Potato & Pear Soup recipe originally came from my dear friend Marianne. This next one, though, I invented myself by experimentation over a number of years while teaching science in Alaska's most remotely isolated Eskimo and Athabascan Indian villages. This dish was such a huge hit at community potlucks that the recipe is now in a number of rural Alaska cookbooks as "Science Teacher’s Quick and Easy Pasta Delight."

Science Teacher’s Quick and Easy Pasta Delight

If you love spicy, cheesy, delicious Italian pasta dishes but do not have much time for cooking then this one is for you! Remember to pick up these ingredients while shopping to have on hand and it will be simple to swiftly prepare a great-tasting and nutritious main dish.

Preparation time: About 25 minutes.

Ingredients checklist:
(Substitute freely with other brands and change proportions to taste)
___Dash of salt.
___One to one-and-a-half pounds of extra sharp cheddar cheese, to taste.
___24 ounces of tricolor pasta spirals called "rotini" made of plain macaroni, spinach macaroni, and tomato macaroni.
___One or two 2.5 ounce sticks of Hormel pepperoni, to taste.
___One or two 0.7 ounce (small) Good Seasons “Zesty Italian” dry salad dressing spice mix packets, to taste.
___Two-thirds cup extra-virgin first-press olive oil.
___Two cups balsamic vinegar (preferably from Modena, Italy).

These quantities make one large pot, enough for several adults and a bunch of kids with hearty appetites.

Method:
1) Add a dash of salt and a few drops of olive oil to a pot of water, then bring the water to full boil.

2) Add the tricolor macaroni spirals (rotini) to boiling water, stir until the water reaches boiling again, and then reduce heat and allow to simmer until pasta is tender.

3) While the pasta is cooking dice the cheese and pepperoni into small cubes, jumble them together, and set off to the side for the moment. Watch out for a possible plastic skin on the pepperoni: if present, then remove and discard plastic skin before dicing the pepperoni.

4) Pour the balsamic vinegar (regular vinegar will serve at need, but balsamic vinegar really does make a huge difference in the flavor) into a capped bottle or jar and add the Italian dressing spice mix packet(s). Shake the vinegar and spices together, then add the olive oil and shake again until the vinegar, spices, and oil are well mixed.

5) Drain the tender tricolor rotini and then stir the diced cheese and pepperoni thoroughly into the hot pasta. Allow the cheese and pepperoni to sit mixed into the hot pasta for five minutes; they melt a bit and so improve the overall flavor.

6) Shake the vinegar-and-oil spice mixture one last time and then pour all of it on top of the pasta; stir the vinegar-and-oil spice mixture throughout the pasta.

7) Serve hot. The flavor improves if placed in a crock pot and kept warm for several hours, or if baked in a covered dish at low temperature in the oven for an hour or two. That which is not eaten immediately will keep well for a long time--at least a week--if stored covered in a refrigerator. Reheats easily in the microwave as well as over a burner and tastes great as a “left-over” snack; scramble with eggs to raise the protein content. May actually improve in flavor when reheated as a left-over!

Bon Appétit!

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Pres. John Adams, Scholar and Statesman

"There's a scientific reason to be concerned and there's a scientific reason to push for action. But there's no scientific reason to despair."

NASA climate analyst Gavin Schmidt

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php