Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punaweb Cookbook: sharing favorite recipes
I won $100 with this dish in last year's "Taste of Puna" exibition at Puna Fresh in Ke'eau.

'Uala Ulu Curry Pie

Ingredients:

2 fresh, ripe Puna Ulu (Breadfruit, steamed 30 min., peeled and cut into 1” cubes
3 large Puna ‘Uala (Sweet Potato, steamed 30 min., peeled and cut into 1” cubes)
2 large Maui onions (chopped)
1 large Carrot (grated)
1 large Zuchini squash, (chopped)
¼ cup fresh Ginger (minced)
½ cup roasted Macadamia nuts (chopped)
¼ cup Raisins
¼ cup raw Puna honey
16 fl. Oz. canned coconut milk
3 tablespoons Curry powder
Chili pepper water
1 teaspoon Hawaiian salt
1 folded pie crust

Place steamed Ulu, and ‘Uala, in a large mixing bowl. Add Onions, Carrots, Zuchini,
and Raisins..

In another bowl, add Coconut milk, Salt, Ginger, Honey, Curry powder, and Chili
Pepper Water (to taste). Mix well.

Pour liquid onto the Ulu and ‘Uala, and lightly mix, coating all ingredients.

Transfer all ingredients to a large baking dish, and unfold pie crust on top. Decorate
With dough cut-outs and sprinkle with chopped mac nuts.

Place in a moderately hot oven (375*) for 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
Buzz & Steven,

Try taking some sage leaves and frying them in a little bit of olive oil till crispy, only about 2 minutes, drain on paper towels and then salt with Hawaiian Salt (smoked Hawaiian Salt is even better), Then crumble some of these on the Sweet Potato Soup. You can also eat these alone as chips... ono good and good for you.

Buzz... nice BBQ Sauce!

quote:
Originally posted by Buzz

Steven, I have never had sweet potato soup. I love sweet potato pie and just regular plain old baked sweet potatoes. I did have pumpkin soup a few months back in Jamaica which I thought was really good, but everything there tasted goodWink I'll definitely give your recipe a shot!

Devany, what can I say, your culinary skills echo your style in gracious living. You've inspired me to purchase a butane torch!!

Here is a BBQ Sauce thats easy to make. Everyone who has tasted this sauce wants the recipe. I use it on chicken & spareribs.

BBQ Sauce

1 medium finely chopped onion
1 32 oz bottle of ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp garlic powder or 2 minced cloves
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
squirt of lemon juice
2 or 3 shakes of worcestershire sauce

Mix & Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs

The smell is a bit potent while cooking because of the vinegar, but once done, your bbq will be slap mammy happy & finger lickin' good!

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Greg, this looks awesome! I am making it tomorrow!

quote:
Originally posted by Greg

I won $100 with this dish in last year's "Taste of Puna" exibition at Puna Fresh in Ke'eau.

'Uala Ulu Curry Pie

Ingredients:

2 fresh, ripe Puna Ulu (Breadfruit, steamed 30 min., peeled and cut into 1” cubes
3 large Puna ‘Uala (Sweet Potato, steamed 30 min., peeled and cut into 1” cubes)
2 large Maui onions (chopped)
1 large Carrot (grated)
1 large Zuchini squash, (chopped)
¼ cup fresh Ginger (minced)
½ cup roasted Macadamia nuts (chopped)
¼ cup Raisins
¼ cup raw Puna honey
16 fl. Oz. canned coconut milk
3 tablespoons Curry powder
Chili pepper water
1 teaspoon Hawaiian salt
1 folded pie crust

Place steamed Ulu, and ‘Uala, in a large mixing bowl. Add Onions, Carrots, Zuchini,
and Raisins..

In another bowl, add Coconut milk, Salt, Ginger, Honey, Curry powder, and Chili
Pepper Water (to taste). Mix well.

Pour liquid onto the Ulu and ‘Uala, and lightly mix, coating all ingredients.

Transfer all ingredients to a large baking dish, and unfold pie crust on top. Decorate
With dough cut-outs and sprinkle with chopped mac nuts.

Place in a moderately hot oven (375*) for 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Crystallized Ginger Chicken

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 tablespoon sliced garlic
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup slivered crystallized ginger
2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4 -inch cubes
1 green pepper, sliced into 1/8 -inch wedges
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro

In a shallow dish, combine flour, salt and black pepper. Dredge chicken in the seasoned flour; shake off excess.
In a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat, cook garlic in hot oil about 10 seconds. Add chicken and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes, or until light golden. Remove chicken to a plate.
Add broth, ginger, soy sauce and sweet potato to the wok and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes, or until potato is just tender. Return broth to a boil.
Add green pepper and chicken and cook, stirring, 2 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through and sauce has thickened slightly. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Makes 4 servings.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
This recipe was featured in an article I wrote on sustainable tourism for Edible Hawaiian Islands. I developed it while staying at rental in Puna.

Hawaiian Pineapple Sitr Fried Rice
© Devany Vickery-Davidson, Dinner Party Cooking School

I took Ming Tsai’s basic Fried Rice recipe from the cookbook, Breath of A Wok by Grace Young and Aland Richardson and “Hawaiianized” it for this classic Hawaiian treatment of the Hawaiian staple of rice. In Hawaii, rice is served with every meal, even breakfast. At lunch & dinner it is commonly served even when other starches are present. Rice is also one of the few foods so important to the Hawaiian diet that is not grown/harvested in Hawaii. Fried Rice was the first recipe that Ming learned as a 10 year old boy in his mother’s restaurant, the Mandrin Kitchen in Dayton, Ohio. Interestingly, my husband grew up in Dayton and remembers going there as a young adult on dates! Talk about a small world. You can also add “leftovers” in this recipe. I often add fresh water chestnuts, slivered carrots, diced red peppers, bean sprouts, mushrooms, small shrimp, tofu celery etc.

Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish or 2 people as an entrée

Ingredients:

A fresh medium sized ripe pineapple
2 tablespoons minced ginger
1 tablespoon palm sugar, brown sugar or sugar in the raw

4 cups of cold leftover rice ( I generally use Brown Jasmine or Basamati but this can be done with any rice except sweet rice or sushi rice)

2 tablespoons canola or peanut oil
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 large eggs beaten
1 Chinese Sausage (Lop Chung) or Chinese Red Pork (Char Siu), cut into 1/8 inch dice *see note
4 scallions sliced on the diagonal
2 large shallots or 1 Maui onion finely chopped
¾ cup frozen peas
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 Hawaiian hot chile peppers or 1 red Thai chile or Serano chile, finely diced.
¼ cup Chinese Celery tops (omit if you cannot find this)
1 tablespoons of fish sauce
2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons of palm sugar, brown sugar or sugar in the raw (divided)
¼ teaspoon white pepper
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

½ cup toasted chopped macadamia nuts

Method:

1. Cut the pineapple in half lengthwise, and scoop out the fruit. You can use a pineapple cutter or a curved grapefruit knife. Reserve ½ of the pineapple meat and cut the remaining pineapple into chunks about ¾ of an inch in size.

2. Brush the inside of the two pineapple halves with oil or spray with cooking spray. Place in a 375 degree oven or on a grill inside facing down till the pineapple starts to brown slightly (about 10 minutes).

3. In a large bowl place the pineapple and ginger. Stir in 1 Tablespoon of sugar. Stir. This brings out the juices in the pineapple and ginger.

4. Heat a large flat bottomed wok or skillet until a bead of water vaporizes within 1-2 seconds of contact. Stir in one tablespoon of the canola oil and one tablespoon of the sesame oil. Add the eggs and 30 seconds to one minute till the egg has set, swirling the pan so that you get a flat pancake of egg. Transfer the egg to a cutting board and cut into strips. Reserve.

5. Swirl in the remaining two oils and turn up the heat to high. Add garlic, chili peppers, Chinese celery, shallots and stir fry 30 seconds. Add the Chinese Sausage or Char Siu. Stir fry for 1 minute. Add peas, scallions, rice, pineapple/ginger mixture and stir fry another minute.

6. Combine fish sauce., remaining sugar and soy sauce and add to the stir fry. Toss in egg shreds and cilantro. Sprinkle with white pepper and taste. Adjust if needed.

7) Pour the mixture into the pineapple shells. Keep warm in a 250 degree oven till ready to serve. I feel that warming the rice in the pineapple adds additional flavors.

8) Garnish with the mac nuts.

* NOTE: Other protein can be used in place or in addition to the Chinese Sausage, but I believe that pork adds the best flavor. The sausages are available at Chinese Markets/Butcher Shops and look like a small dry skinny salami. You can also use Chinese “Red Pork” Char Siu. Or smoked ham or bacon for this. I personally like the Char Siu best and found it easily in Hawaii. You could also use smoked turkey legs or even leftover smoked chicken if you are on a diet.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Butterfish Misoyaki Style

This dish was born in Japan and by “adoption” it has become an island favorite. Butterfish describes the preparation, not the kind of fish. In Hawaii, Butterfish is often black cod or sable fish. Our local Whole Foods always has lovely black cod. In Hawaii we bought sable fish. In both cases this is so delicious that I rarely make fish any other way now. You should ask for filets from a fish size 7 or larger. Have the fish scaled before cooking. The marinade can be made up to a week in advance.

Ingredients:

6 black cod filets, skin intact

For miso marinade:

1/3 cup sake
1/3 cup mirin
½ cup raw sugar
1 cup of fresh white miso
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
2 stalks lemon grass bruised
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 Tablespoons finely grated ginger
Zest of one orange or tangerine

Method:
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add mirin, & sake. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes to cook out the alcohol. Ad d sugar and whisk in. Then add miso and heat for 2-3 minutes till sugar is dissolved (raw sugar takes a little longer to dissolve). Add soy sauce and remove from heat. Cool and store in refrigerator till ready for use.

24 to 48 hours before serving, place the fish in marinade. Marinade for 24-48 hours. I usually do it 24 hours.

Preheat oven (I use a convection oven) to 400. Line a sheet with aluminum foil and place the fish skin side down on the foil. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until fish cooks golden brown. To be sure of doneness, feel for the bones down the center of the filet, they will release easily once the fish is cooked. You can heat and serve the marinade as additional sauce.

When removing the fish from the pan, slide the spatula under the skin and the skin will stick to the foil. I like to serve this over sautéed sesame spinach and I top with some slivers of preserved ginger or toasted coconut.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com

This evening I finally came up with a way to use cottage cheese which my rather picky daughter likes and actually wants to eat!

COTTAGE CHEESE & PINEAPPLE SALAD

Ingredients:
Diced fresh pineapple
Cottage cheese
Dash of salt to accentuate flavors (optional)

Method:
Chop and stir together; serve cold.

Prep time:
Five minutes or less.

Pineapple can sometimes be rather acidic but I think the cottage cheese buffers this aspect somewhat.

Probably adding chopped bits of other fruits (especially bananas) and shredded coconut would go together well in this mix, too.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Pres. John Adams, Scholar and Statesman

"There's a scientific reason to be concerned and there's a scientific reason to push for action. But there's no scientific reason to despair."

NASA climate analyst Gavin Schmidt

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

More ways to use pineapple -and carrots, together!

PINEAPPLE CARROT CAKE

In large mixer bowl combine:
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 cup Wesson oil
1 cup crushed pineapple with juice
2 cups grated carrot
1 cup chopped walnuts

Mix until well blended. Pour into a greased and floured pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Cool and frost.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

In mixer combine:
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 lb margarine
1 lb 10x sugar (AKA confectioner's or powdered sugar)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Beat until smooth and spreadable; spread and sprinkle with chopped nuts.

Enjoy!

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Pres. John Adams, Scholar and Statesman

"There's a scientific reason to be concerned and there's a scientific reason to push for action. But there's no scientific reason to despair."

NASA climate analyst Gavin Schmidt

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

One of our favorite ways to use pineapple is to grill it. Slice a fresh pineapple into rounds (leave peel on). You can spray a little olive oil on it if your grill sticks, ours doesn't. Once you have grill marks on one side (about 2 minutes) turn it over and sprinkle the "marked" side lightly with raw sugar. Continue to cook as the sugar melts and becomes a glaze. Remove from grill and cut into quarters or eighths.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.travelingfork.blogspot.com
PINEAPPLE-BUTTERMILK SHERBET

This old fashioned, creamy sherbet has been a family favorite for many years prior to moving to Hawaii where we now have all we can eat, fresh from the garden pineapple. It is frozen in a covered freezer container but can also be made in an ice cream maker. Makes about 1 1/2 Quarts.

INGREDIENTS
1 quart buttermilk
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple in heavy syrup or chopped fresh
1 cup sugar

DIRECTIONS
1. Combine the buttermilk, the pineapple with its syrup and the sugar in a large bowl; stir to dissolve the sugar.
2. Pour the mixture into a freezer container. Place the container in the freezer until frozen, stirring once in a while to break up the ice crystals.

BACON WRAPPED PINEAPPLE BITES

I like to stick them under the broiler for the last few minutes to get the bacon really crisp

INGREDIENTS
1 pound bacon
1 can chunked pineapple or fresh (large chunks)
1/2 cup brown sugar

DIRECTIONS
1. Set oven to 375.
2. Cut the pound of bacon in half. Put the brown sugar in a shallow bowl. Dredge a slice of bacon in the brown sugar and wrap around a pineapple chunk. Secure with a toothpick.
3.Put a cookie cooling rack onto a foil-lined jelly roll pan. Lay the bacon pineapple bundles onto the rack.
4. Bake for at least 25 minutes.