Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shame on you, Governor Lingle
http://www.kpua.net/news.php?id=16752

This story reports what you probably already know. The Governor once again has refused to address the problem of a doctor shortage on the Big Island and other neighbor islands.

The budget is a problem, but poor health care has budget implications, too.

And shame on the County. Everyone's all lined up to spend millions they don't have on roads etc. Why not shift some of that to our medical challenge?

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
A citizens coalition might take a look at the travel expenses at state level each and every year traveling to this and that local for an important conference! Much like the banking and financial institutions and the Hollywood functionaries each state government has an elite and expanding, entitled class, that travels at taxpayer expense to study this and that obscure venture, over and over again to get it right! These entitled travelers find more and more conferences each year that demand attendance. A week here and a week there at exotic locals, oh and throw in a few vacation days, or a week!

Perhaps some monies desperately needed for the medical infrastructure could be found there!

Never heard of video conferencing.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
This comment may belong on the political forum, but here goes anyway.

I, too, have become disillusioned with Governor Lingle, and I voted for her. We are in an increasingly desperate situation regarding physician access here on the Big Island. HMSA is selling insurance policies with no doctors in place who are accepting new patients. Even Kaiser members like myself are finding that it takes longer and longer to get non-emergency specialty appointments, although emergency and primary care remains reasonably accessible at Kaiser.

Meanwhile, the teachers' union after having agreed to random drug testing as part of their contract have reneged, but are being allowed to collect the pay raise they got as part of the contract. Talk about negotiating in bad faith! Now one might expect our so-called "reform Republican" governor to stand up to the union, but all we get is occasional whining and no action. By revoking the teachers' pay raise, the physician program for the Big Island (and a lot of useful things) could be maintained in the budget.

Before you charge up your flame throwers, let me just say that I think the teachers do deserve a decent salary and that I think drug testing is not a panacaea for workplace substance issues. It just galls me that the union negotiators could sit there smiling and recommend the contract to the members (who approved by about 60%) and then say, "Well now that we've thought it over, we think it's unconstitutional." And what has Governor Linda or her administration done? Nothing substantial.

And yes, I sent her a letter.

Rant over,
Jerry
Yes.... the state budget is sinking fast. And while I agree that increasing physicians on this island is a top priority...how can the governor justify state money to encourage doctors to move here when she's cutting school budgets. Many people will agrue that a childs education is just as important as health care.
I have heard people say that Maui County was strongly behind her for governor so that they could get her out of the mayorship before she could do any more damage to Maui. [}Smile]

The medical crisis is my number one problem with living here. The roads I can live with.
Too bad county and state budgets aren't available in detail for public comment, or better yet-approval...and before the fact. Imagine if we could work on next years budget, especially if limited to current available funds.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident