Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava Hiker Rescued
In this morning's HTH's Big Island Report there's an article about a hiker lost at the Ocean Entry. It should be pointed out that this person and her companions ignored the staff and ventured out on their own. Her companions deserted her and returned to the viewing area after closing time.

Rescue workers and flight crews spend time and risk injury to assist a person who blatently ignored staff, tresspassed, and attempted to validate Darwin's theory. (She was seen on the bench just below the entry).

Why should WE have to pay ?
What are the rules here?

Will she get a bill?

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
"...Firefighters hiked three-quarters of a mile to the hiker and made contact via flashlight more than a mile away from her. Due to darkness and the harsh terrain the hiker was told to stay put and Chopper One was dispatched with with a rescueman to retrieve her. The uninjured hiker was flown to Highway 130, examined by medics and turned over to police..."

"She was then released to police, who assisted her in getting back to Waikoloa."

The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
This girl is obviously three quarters short of a dollar in the brain department. It would be good if the County sent her a bill, but they won't, it would be bad PR, as she is probably a tourist. There is a show about stupid people that do stupid things like that. If you drink and drive and crash, you don't have to pay the rescue squad either.

I guess the fire department can count it up to a training exercise that ended well. People go out and swim in high surf or areas that are off limits all of the time and the authorities often have to rescue them, or fish their bodies out of the water.

OK, while we are on the subject of lava viewing... can someone tell me how to do it the right way? We have never done it and would really like to now that we are sitting around waiting for our things to arrive. I know that we need to go at dusk, bring a flashlight, bring water, wear sturdy shoes... but that is all I know. I have seen the signs on the road directing people to the viewing area. Other than that... I would appreciate some advice from the savvy folks here.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Call 961-8093 for the latest updates - they close it when the wind goes the wrong way.

I believe it's open 2pm - 10pm but I do like most people and go there just before sundown, it makes walking over the lava easier.

Definitely have at least one flashlight per person. Water and good shoes a good idea. It's only a 20 minute walk. Bring binoculars.

To find it, follow highway 130 to the end and ust keep going until someone points to where you should park. They want you to reverse in for a quick escape if need be.

I think they close the gates at 8:00 actually.[?]

We have found that the best thing is to be at the viewing site (end of 130 - follow the signs) at least 1/2 hour before sundown (be here by 5:30 right now...) that way you are walking in with light... wear sturdy, comfy shoes (not slippahs.... as miss steps can happen & end up with body parts scrapping on lava... not nice!) bring a couple of not so big flashlights (we have used a range.... most of the time you are walking with a few hundred others, so a smaller light is fine...), keep them always aimed at the ground (can't tell you how many people shine them up into others eyes... if that happens to you, stop until you can see again..) gloves are something you will see the tourist bus people have.... good to have if you fall... but ours were always in our back pockets, so woulda only helped the keester...

you get 2 benefits from going before dark, you get to see the shore, the steam clouds & such & get to see the change as it gets dark... if you are lucky, there may be pyrotechnics in the steam clouds & a visible flow down the hill... sometimes there is not much, just a little glow, sometimes there are oozing or fire hydrants into the ocean...

If you have compact binoculars, they can be useful... camera too, if there are neat flows...

hours are usually 2-10 HOWEVER last one IN the viewing area is 8pm
enjoy!
Thanks everyone! We will look for a good night and call the info line first before heading down.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
I sat there for a few hours and wished that I had brought a pad to sit on or my folding lightweight seat that provides back support. Food to eat as you wait for the sun to set was a definite plus (except for all of the jealous looks). Also you might want to look on the PunaWeb for an update blurb by Greg as to what's happening out there. On New Year's Eve it was reportedly going great, but New Year day/evening it changed and if I had seen Greg's update I wouldn't have gone.

Good Luck,

Sean
See you in the surf