Gone With The Wind...
Nevermind.

Edited by - Carolann R on 12/17/2006 22:09:09
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
Carolann

You're living in Puna now. Sometimes you just have to dodge the coconuts. It's part of the package.

Andrew

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
i.e.- dis ain't da mainland.

Aloha
Richwhiteboy

"The art of diplomacy is saying 'nice doggy' until you can find a big stick." - Will Rogers
“Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good.”
- Henry Rollins

Beware,coconuts! That reminds me of when I lived in France. I took a trip with a friend from Paris ot the countryside, down in Aquitaine. We took country roads. I saw sign that said "Danger! Betteraves!". I turned to my friend and I said "Danger, beets?, Am I reading that right?". She said, "oh, but yes! You see the beets get on the road and they are very slippery. Cars drive over the beets, the beets smash, the car slips and you are in the ditch!" I was young, foolish and in a foreign country. I laughed about the dangerous beets for the next 30 kilometers.

I'm not laughing anymore.

Danger! Noix de coco!

Well, if you go up to Mauna Kea, along the way you must "Beware Invisible Cows". The road is open range and the cows can wander where ever they want and some of them are grey or white. It is cloudy and foggy up there frequently, so occasionally you get a grey cow in the fog - hence "Beware Invisible Cows".

Carolann, this is kinda interesting, though. Why is it more significant that it was a coconut that fell on the road in front of your car instead of a tree branch? Would your reaction have been the same if it would have been a tree that fell? Perhaps coconuts symbolize beaches and tropicalness and fun sunny days and are't supposed to jump out at people and it is more wrong for them to do it than tree branches? Kinda like it would be much more alarming to be bitten by a butterfly than a mosquito.

I'm not sure to what extent the County is supposed to "protect" the public, but usually they can't do anywhere near as good of a job as the individual can do themselves. Didn't the County post high wind warnings? It was on the radio and it was pretty easy to see even if they hadn't mentioned it. In cases of high wind, things get blown over and around. Not only coconuts, but tree limbs, power poles, roofs, kids play toys, etc. etc. The County gives us warning of things and then pretty much expects us to take care of ourselves since they certainly can't do it.

If we did expect them to protect us, then they would expect us to pay a whole lot more in taxes. I certainly would't like that. Especially since they would probably not be very effective about it even if they did try it.

Do you think a few slices of coconut creme pie would even out the excessive yang coconut kharma you seem to be currently experiencing? I think coconut creme pie would enhance the yin kharma aspects, especially if you had a couple of coconut macaroons along with it.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Smile

Edited by - Carolann R on 12/17/2006 22:10:18
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
quote:
. . . Why is it more significant that it was a coconut that fell on the road in front of your car instead of a tree branch?

I'm not sure to what extent the County is supposed to "protect" the public, but usually they can't do anywhere near as good of a job as the individual can do themselves . . .

WHAT!?!? You don't have to be Marie Curie to see the difference between a coconut and a tree branch so far as potential for falling is concerned. A branch might fall - a coconut is going to fall.

Just about every governmental entity in areas where coconut palms are prevalent have provisions - and budgets - for the removal of coconuts in public spaces: sidewalks, streets, parks, etc. Take a stroll down Kalakaua Ave. in Waikiki; you don't see many "Watch for Falling Bowling Ball" warnings. Coconut removal in the tropics is simply an expected government public safety service, no different than plowing snow in Chicago or clearing storm drains in Portland.

If they can find a way do it (and pay for it) in Sri Lanka, it should be well within the abilities of the County of Hawaii.

aloha,
Gene

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Edited by - G. Leis on 12/18/2006 06:22:50

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No." - Craig T. Nelson
Just read this a few weeks ago and thought it might help out here. Monkeys are trained in Thailand to harvest coconuts! LOL who knew. They are even more efficient than humans and do it for the small fee of a banana a day! A win-win situation for all!

Anyway the pictures are priceless and I hope the link works for you!

I was actually in the car that was threatened by an errant coconut. Going perhaps 20 MPH around a road crew working on the road. Had the coconut hit our windshield someone would have been seriously hurt, perhaps blinded, who knows. So heads up all!

I will plant one coconut at our place, and it will be well situated to protect me, my neighbors the house and the roadway. Luckily we have the space. Now where can I get a monkey to harvest? Can they be trained to harvest coffee too? Such is life

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/ar..._id=414837

Aloha, Mella

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Hawaii county does have coconut tree climbers on staff, you can see them working at most of the beach parks and along a lot of the roadways, but sometimes I think the coconuts just get ahead of the coconut crews! The monkey & banana isea sounds great, but I think that these might not be an allowable import animal (if they got lose, they would not be good on the ground birds). Possibly trained mongoose??? OK they are not the best tree climbers, & trained feral cats are an oxymoron......besides, every cat I have had has needed 4 paw drive up a tree & some still seem to peel off on the way down.
Aloha, Carey

My personal favorite is the Beware - Donkey Crossing on Queen K going to Kona.

Maybe we need to hire someone to teach the donkeys to look both ways before crossing the road. Chickens perhaps?