Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appeals to the Tax Board of Review
Did anyone else place an appeal with the tax board of review?
We’re heading in on Aug. 4th for our hearing.
We did both the complaint with the assessor’s office and an appeal with the tax board of review.
I really thought it was funny that the assessor’s office removed the complaint form from their web site but left up the $15 fee based appeals form.

Assessments on both our Snohomish and King County properties were sharply dropped this year in Washington State without request. I was amazed to see that Hawaii County wasn’t reducing Tax assessments this year... CRAZY! Is there a brain dead assessor up there? If the county ends up in court over enough key cases; they could end up paying back millions and become bankrupt over night. Where’s this ludicrous thinking come from on behalf of the Assessors office in Hawaii County? The appeals board is not the last stop if they fail to follow reason, the courts will.

Bet they gambled we wouldn’t be appearing as we’re out of State… surprise, surprise!

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.

You really need to stop comparing Hawaii with the mainland. Things are much different here and they move much slower.
I’ll bet you will spend more money between your flight and lodging then you will recoup from the evil tax assessor, surprise, surprise.
Our taxes are so low that I have my wife run down and pay them the same day we get it.
I don’t want them to think they made a mistake and under charged me.
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it cost when it’s free...now here come the taxes.....
LOL...
Well there Kahunascott, welcome to the U.S. of A! You just lost that bet.
We made no special plan to arrive for the hearing. Good thing folks like us are looking out for people like you... ehWink

Don't forget the recalibration in 2008. However the 3% cap remains.
Are you fighting an increase in the assessed value of the property or is it the rate applied to assessed values for your type of property?
Bob,
There was no increase, but there is a conflict with regard to recent sales data and from sales last year (this is applicable) that reflect only 66% the 2009 assessed value. So we're probably looking at a rate applied to assessed values for our type of property though they are exclusive $ amounts to the development. The sales data for 2007 was responsible for the current assessment and it’s obvious they didn't bother applying the 2008 data when they drafted the proposed assessments.

What does Hawaii State and County law say about assessment valuation? Here on the mainland, our 2009 property taxes rose slightly due to the way assessed values are determined. Tax year 2009 is based on valuations established in 2008 based on 2007 base rate. So if the market suddenly rebounded tomorrow and went up to 2003-2005 levels, for the next 2 years we'll be assessed the same tax as this year or more likely we'll get a decrease because it's a two year lag. What's Hawaii's method? Was your property subject to recalibration?
We went through our appeal today. We were the only ones who showed up in person for our hearing. Others were being handled through the documentation submitted only.

The assessor came prepared with a big drop in our assessment from the prior assessment, but not as far as we had asked it to be dropped, and still far above what we actually paid for it. He pretty much threw out any comps that were foreclosures and tried to claim that foreclosures are a rare statistical aberration that shouldn't be included when determining value. I responded that foreclosures were currently driving the market and shouldn't be ignored. He also used a high $ per square foot valuation based in part on replacement costs, which I think is just wrong, but I didn't have the documentation to back up my point.

The board voted to reassess our home at the level the assessor brought to the table. We will be back next year with better comps, better pictures, and better documentation of the number and percentage of the closed sales that are foreclosures. Currently the house next to ours is sitting on the market for $20,000 less than we paid for ours, and $75,000 less than our new tax appraisal, and it is comparable to ours in terms of age, condition, and size. If it sells this year we will use it as a comp, and use the lot two over from ours that just sold for 1/2 the valuation of our lot, with way more supporting evidence than we had this time. We relied heavily on the appraisal we had done for our mortgage and he dismissed that as being cooked numbers for the lender. He also incorrectly claimed that ours was a private loan when we were going through a broker and have a mortgage through a large bank.

The assessor knew before the hearing what we were asking for, and he met us part way. He would not have done that had we not appealed, but I don't think anyone gets what they are asking for. It seems like the process is people get their tax bill and appeal, the assessor drops the valuation some, the board votes in whatever the assessor has come up with. One of the panel members really wanted to know if we knew the assessor had dropped our valuation, and if we would have filed an appeal if we had known. The panel rotates so you may have a completely different panel and different experience.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Bob,
The Hawaii county assessor told me that it is based on the previos years values. Here in Washington State our values were reduced signifigantly (within king and snohomish counties that is) here they are based on the previos years sales values also but they always keep them at about 80% true market value to play it safe. Hawaii appears to go full market value and then not back off when things go south and that is not acceptable.

Carol,
Sorry to hear they pushed you around.
They are probing the boundaries as indicated by the question they asked of you (did they provide you with a transcript of the hearing? If so keep hold of it, it may be of importance in the future). This is the wrong time for the county to be probing how far they can push the people around.
You’ve always got the courts if you’re not happy with the board’s arbitration decision. In that scenario, the assessor’s opinion will not carry the same influence and everything you cited will be relevant. Though I doubt it’s now worth the hassle to take it to court and they know that, therein lays the dirty element in all this.

Well they have our property (vacant land) assessed $40k over its actual 2008 sales value as indicated by the 2008 sales data. There’s no way to claim foreclosures in this case and it’s clear as day. They are going to squeeze everything they can get from people whether they (the county) are within the guidelines of the law or not, that’s now evident.

I wouldn't say they pushed us around, but I would say that it was very apparent the the panel was made up of people from Hilo (I recognized several names), who see the values in Puna as very low already. It would be good if Puna residents with experience in real estate and law would volunteer for this board. It was also clear that the board was made up of very long time residents who see lots of new arrivals from the mainland come in and appeal their tax valuations right off the bat. That is part of why they will see us every year until they get it right. Having now been through the process we will be far better prepared next time.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Scott,

I heartily agree with you on this one. It is laughable how low the taxes (and assessments) are here. I agree... run to the tax office and pay asap so they cannot change their minds.

I don't want to compare with the mainland... but we have homes of equal value here and in SF. Our taxes in CA are $40,000. a year. Here we pay $2,000. How is that for absurd??? And CA did reduce our assessment this year and last year because we bought at the height of the market in 2006. It was automatic we did not have to appeal.

quote:
Originally posted by Kahunascott

You really need to stop comparing Hawaii with the mainland. Things are much different here and they move much slower.
I’ll bet you will spend more money between your flight and lodging then you will recoup from the evil tax assessor, surprise, surprise.
Our taxes are so low that I have my wife run down and pay them the same day we get it.
I don’t want them to think they made a mistake and under charged me.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com