Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kapoho Beach Road may be public, official says
As I stated before,this was Hawaiian land.Here is an excerpt from a recent public hearing:

LYMAN: Lono Lyman, PO Box 374, Hilo 96721; and PO Box 3896, 96812,
Honolulu. Just to set the record straight, first, I’m representing Kapoho Land and Development.
I’m not here just as an individual. I’m a manager and a corporate officer of the company and the
company owns an adjacent parcel, TMK: 1-4-02:3.

"Part of the background, and I offer this as a comment, my family has been here for over 1,000
years. We’re part of the Hawaiian Lyman family. The ownership of the land goes back to my
great grandfather who acquired it in the late 1800s from Charles Keaina who is the father of
Lunalilo. So it came from the King, to Charles Keaina, to my great grandfather."

He is talking about all of the land in Kapoho.

I am not sure how BJ Leithead Todd could come to the conclusion that the road is public by using an obscure mention of a public school that she found on an old document.There was never any mention of a public road so one has to assume the road was always private.
and the game begins -
I am not sure what removing the gate would accomplish insofar as "access" is concerned. There is nowhere to park anywhere throughout the KBL area. Anyone can walk in there right now as far as I know. Grap your mask and fins and towel and go in and swim. The problem is wanting to bring in a car load of stuff and there is nowhere to park or alight without being on private property.

Here's another facet of the "access" to Kapoho Bay. The state owns land on the bay and has done and shows no intention of doing anything to provide access. This is where someone bulldozed a road through the a`a and vehicles now enter via the lighthouse road and congregate by the Champagne Pond.

I fail to see how removing the gate will do anything except create litigation and traffic problems. For the time and expense of solving that situation DLNR and the state could consider creating Kapoho Bay Park with access from the lighthouse road. Parking, bathrooms, picnic tables. Will DNLR do this? Not bloody likely. Puna is so far off their radar it does not exist.

I do understand that the gate is resented. I just do not see how it's removal would solve anything.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I think that is part of the problem, legal approaches very rarely are in harmony with common sense. My interest here is one of legality and local politics....

Its really a mess for all the stakeholders, how it is resolved interests me .... I hope the outcome positive
more on the topic here

http://www.bigislandchronicle.com/?p=8139#more-8139
Not to throw a wrench in the works, but wasn't there a deadline for the State and Counties to file legal notices over roads where government ownership wasn't clear or contested? That date, from my understanding, was set so that claims over ownership wouldn't keep popping up. (For some reason the period after 1997 with a final date of 2002 comes to mind). So if Kapoha Beach Lots got written statements saying the roads are private, and if any of those letters occurred after the cut off date, the County hasn't a leg to stand on. Looks like the Kapoha Beach Lots knew the laws and may have played their cards well.
Hey Rob,

I have seen that road, but long before we had an SUV and wonder if you think that our truck can make it or if big knobby tires are required? [8D]

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

I am not sure what removing the gate would accomplish insofar as "access" is concerned. There is nowhere to park anywhere throughout the KBL area. Anyone can walk in there right now as far as I know. Grap your mask and fins and towel and go in and swim. The problem is wanting to bring in a car load of stuff and there is nowhere to park or alight without being on private property.

Here's another facet of the "access" to Kapoho Bay. The state owns land on the bay and has done and shows no intention of doing anything to provide access. This is where someone bulldozed a road through the a`a and vehicles now enter via the lighthouse road and congregate by the Champagne Pond.

I fail to see how removing the gate will do anything except create litigation and traffic problems. For the time and expense of solving that situation DLNR and the state could consider creating Kapoho Bay Park with access from the lighthouse road. Parking, bathrooms, picnic tables. Will DNLR do this? Not bloody likely. Puna is so far off their radar it does not exist.

I do understand that the gate is resented. I just do not see how it's removal would solve anything.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
I have never driven on that path. I have always walked in though KBL.

Try it out. I would like to hear a report of what you find out.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
High ground clearance and limited slip rear end (chevy "silverado" truck option package has one for example) is really all one needs.

Locking up the rear axle to keep the wheels from spinning will get you to most places...

BTW: I just shipped over a FJ Cruiser and am having a ball, haven't had to lock the wheels in 4wd yet.

http://www.toyota.com/fjcruiser/ cool little truck