Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life In Waa Waa
Private so Wnk can study those racks.
Man don't start that ... that being the most expensive and time consuming off grid activity you could ever consider

Been there done that brother ... had my fun, even landed one, still making payments. Had to give it up, began to take up all my time and thoughts

I now live with the doe eyed golden retriever I used as bait ... and if his breath were just a bit better...............

back to to moose hunting
My rack studies all but completely ended long ago… as per the expenses in such studies, after my 4th divorce, I’m far too familiar with what it costsSad I’m lucky to have the clothes on my back these days.
I actually made a quick 180 after noticing the jubilee ahead and told my gal we had to head elsewhere on the beach because of the bumpy terrain ahead. 10 minutes later an adult trio emerged from behind the crest heading back to their car with baby in tote… I’ve no comment on that.
I think anyone who has spent time exploring the coast of Hawaii has run into such things more than on one occasion, so it’s not really anything unique to Waa Waa in that regard.
Perhaps one day we’ll have beach signs all around the island with a couple nude stick figures and the word "Beware" or rather "Akahele" above them.

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
So what you're saying, Bullwinkle, is that you had a Rocky relationship?

(sorry, couldn't resist.)
Yeah, sigh...... left me for a nordstrom that chain having shattered many an off grid romance a "rack" at that

"We are fed up with people dumping garbage and criminal evidence near or in the development and want people to know that we are working hard to catch them and we will soon enough begin to nail everyone who does something illegal in our area via the use of high tech monitoring equipment, that will begin as soon as I get out there and install the equipment or get a neighbor to get things rolling, no more funny business will be tolerated."

"Curiously enough you won't perhaps find anyone from Waa Waa on here, not because they don't have internet but because they are busy living life old Hawaiian style and don't spend much time bantering on-line, unlike me who is still stuck here on the mainland in a concrete jungle surrounded by people back to back, wasting time away in the cyber world."

LMAO ... Thats not you man ... Talk about a fish out of water.

Sorry, I fed the troll Rob.
aloha,
pog

As respects bugs and basic house design, would an indoor/outdoor floor-plan ( meaning open-air exposure without screening) be an option, or would the bugs eat you up? Does it just depend on the time of day and year, or are the bugs at work all day, every day?

Put in other words, are screened living spaces simply a given when designing a house in Wa'a Wa'a?

Thanks in advance.

Jake
Jake,
at this elevation there will be some bugs, but of course you can have some unscreened outdoor space. I do, and I have bugs. If the bugs get bothersome, go back in the screened area. If you are talking about mosquitoes, they won't flourish in a breezy area or in breezy clearing. It's up to you to site your space properly. Raising the area helps also. These things can be very localized. I had a property only a mile down the road from where I am now, same elevation, also near a stream, also had a lot of jungle nearby, and the mozzies were killer. We couldn't even be outside without constant swatting. Not true at this house, which does have a bigger clearing around the structure and is sited more on a knoll so that the breezes come through better.

If you want to check your site for mozzies, go after 4pm and to dusk when they are very active.
Cockroaches will be attracted to lights. There are wasps and hornets that can be pests, again, that's probably localized.

Centipedes are a problem everywhere but seem most attracted to come in to areas on slab, even though they can climb just fine. Think they like dampish cool slab. When I had a carport (unscreened) with table and chairs in it, was not unknown to see a big centipede come legging it out of the darkness straight at my toes.
Ehya Jake,
Bugs in this case are none other than the Mosquito which is predominantly confined to the summer season. Some summers worse than others… this summer was quoted as mild with regard to the mosquito issue.

For those who have lived in the region for a long period, mosquitoes are not an issue to them. Screening is sparse for some of them if any at all and some live in open air structures.

With regard to summer months and what would be advisable from my observations there.
My recommendation; if you build, build with at least one fully insulated and air conditioned room the rest may be however you desire. Keep in mind that screening will reduce airflow and consequent evaporative skin cooling.

To go a bit further… many build without permits and that is fine by me as long as they do it responsibly as everyone I’ve seen has done thus far. I'm not the county and I do not agree with building regulation intrusions beyond sanitation issues when it comes to private property and private use situations. I could be the guy with a 30 million dollar home and have a neighbor with a tent and be best friends... no problems here.

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
Wao,
how can mosquitoes be the only bugs?
I've lived in several parts of this island and there are always flying bugs. Flies and horseflies, and wasps, by day. Cockroaches and those giant moths at night. Sometimes there are gnat invasions, and there are fruit flies if fruit is dropping.

I keep my screen doors closed even though I desperately want air flow, mostly because of the common house fly. If Wa`a Wa`a doesn't have house flies it is truly paradise. As for centipedes, they are everywhere if it's not too cold.

I have never experienced mosquitoes confined to summer. They come after rains. I pay little attention to them any more, as you say the awareness goes way down, but the one house I had in the midst of a bit of jungle was mind-blowingly thick with them, and I never met a person who didn't retreat, even if born here. I looked at a house in the old mango section of Honolulu Landing and it had a lot of mozzies. Not enough breeze. Wa`a Wa`a far better, but site still matters.

btw, I spent about a week out there when I was in escrow, days only. I really wanted to get the feel of being there, tromping around on the land. I did love it. The house I was looking at was cool without A/C, something about the roof pitch, insulation, and the solar attic fans.

Another thing is spiders, but honestly they get in anyway. I've watched a cane spider get past a screened slider that was closed, and those jumping spiders. Ditto for ants.
If there are bufo toads around, they'll hop into any space. They are bold. They leave turds behind that are annoying.

I think a combination of screened and unscreened is ideal.