Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life In Waa Waa
Kathy-
"how can mosquitoes be the only bugs?"
Where in my post did I state that?
I'm sticking to my original answer.

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
I am keeping his question in mind. He said "bugs." Very general. He said screening, not netting.

Disagree about cockroaches, myth that they don't fly in ... and they live in the soil.
I have lived several areas of the island and there are always flies to some degree, cattle or no.
Pigs, mongoose, dogs, etc., all poop, and things die, and flies appear.

You are so defensive about this.
I didn't talk about plagues of flies, just normal every day bugs that do come around. Jake may or may not care; I was just addressing the question across the spectrum of insects I've lived with on the island, that have affected my outdoor living in any fashion, small or large.
Kathy...
You live in Paradise X, Waa Waa is paradise Y. There is a paradise type for NEARLY everyone in Hawaii unless they prefer the Sahara, Antarctic or relative major Seasonal changes.
I've lived in Hawaii were there are seemingly no detectable insects (not even a roach), and still have a few acres there; great views too, but covered in VOG now and it’s much hotter than most other places on the island. I’d also be hard pressed to get water and grow plants there too.
The vastness of environments in Hawaii is dauntingly complex. We can have Cattle or no cattle, but perhaps activity or vast presence that incubates flies changes the presence of flies. Every portion of this island differs from one tree line to the next. Nothing in Hawaii is uniform but one factor, year round relative environmental stability.

Defensive I seem?
When I read an immediate reply in the first sentence.
"how can mosquitoes be the only bugs?" Which was never said...
I've got to immediately wonder two things; did you comprehend what I wrote and are you at odds with it?
Secondly, in my very first reply in this thread you were at odds with my statement regarding when most robberies occur in Waa Waa? Why?
Did I state that they would not occur when a person was at home? No I didn't. So why would you even consider stating you were at difference to what I stated on the matter?
What is the predominate insect in Waa Waa with regard to personal nuisance?
If you don’t want to see defensive replies, don’t misquote and come to odds with what another person has written when you’ve not even understood what they wrote.
It’s inconsiderate and annoying as hell and to top it all off… you have to come back with a general reply as if I have some sort of attitude. Well let me see here, you initially misquote and assume you’re at odds etc. Who has the attitude Kathy?

Come on back to Washington Kathy, lets' net us some Noseeum.
Time for another Gin and Tonic

I have so far sat this one out, but the last set of posts about insects finally got me. But after reading someone living in Washington basically berating someone who lives on Island because her answers don't match his version of reality I have to speak up. I have a friend who has lived in Wa'a Wa'a for over 30 years and we had several long conversations about life in Wa'a Wa'a before we bought our current home, because we really liked the area and considered buying there. I still hope to retire there someday, but I don't want to make the commute daily.

This is what I was told by this long term resident: sometimes the roads are pretty good, and sometimes they are virtually impassable in a passenger car due to flooded potholes, the county lets it get pretty bad before grading because they want to pave it and the residents don't want the paving. Mosquitoes, flies, cockroaches, centipedes, ants and all the other assorted tropical insects are a problem if you (and your neighbors) don't keep your place very clean and free of standing water. When he was replacing his windows he had to sleep inside a netting canopy to avoid getting eaten alive at night, his neighbors who built an imported bali pavilion style house had to put in screens because of the mosquitoes, flies, and cockroaches. Fruit flies are ever present, and house flies showed up the day after he got a dog, because they love the poop. Termites are a bigger problem than most of Puna but not as big a problem as in Hilo.

Some of his neighbors are friendly, some are stand offish, and some are down right hostile, but if your place is on fire they will all show up to help you put it out. He has been robbed 3 times in 30+ years, once at gunpoint by masked intruders who were looking for money and guns (he had neither). He has an internet set up and cell phone reception most of the time. He also said that whenever people have moved into the neighborhood full of big ideas for how to "improve" things, that is usually a sign they won't fit in and will sell out within a few years. It is a live and let live neighborhood of people who don't want it to change much and resent those who come in and want to make big changes. I asked him about the "security" ideas floated here of locked gates on the private roads and high tech security cameras and he just laughed.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol...
Don't even try the mainland wet behind the ears boy with me. I've over 30 years living on off that island. I also put the Hawaii County Assessor on the hot seat in front of the hearing board not more than 35 days ago and won our case slam dunk with a rather humiliated assessor chokingly embarrassed.
Robbed 3 times in 30 years and once at gunpoint... LOL But he's still there and laughs about proposed security... ROFLO, I love it! You're a gem and have a "special" friend in Waa Waa indeed.
Why don’t both you and Kathy stop your lite trolling/misrepresentative comments about what others write? K?
E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa..
speaking of gems..... .... that air conditioned insulated room advice ... for an off grid location was pretty funny too,

"if you build, build with at least one fully insulated and air conditioned room"
Bullwinkle... Tisk Tisk, I thought you more enterprising than that.
We run entire manufacturing plants from solar power today.
I see no humor in AC use off-grid and deeply pitty your past experience therein.

Why air conditioning? I've never felt any need for it in Hawaii, am I missing something?
I thought it was only used by mainlanders who didn't realize that it doesn't get hot here.
PaulW... how often have you struck out to clear S guava and manually worked the Waa Waa jungle?
It was merely my recomendation to have that AC available. The other option is to jump in the shower after 20 or so minutes of working hard outside.
Waa Waa though close to the ocean is thick in vegitation... the breeze is not like you'll find about the rest of the island.
I would be more comfortable in Kau though "hotter" temp wise than in Waa Waa. The humidity is much higher in Waa Waa and it has far less Wind.
Of all the places in Hawaii, the Waa Waa jungle is not to be considered the same as Leilani, HPP, Hawaiian Beaches etc.
If you don't trust in that... spend a day down there moving about and see how you feel.

Wao.....
I am trying to figure out where you think I "misrepresented" your comments, why you think my friend is "special" and how anyone is supposed to magically know how long you may have lived on the island in the past. In this series of posts you only stated that you are waiting to sell your Washington place, had just bought a place in Wa'a Wa'a, and had spent 10 whole days there clearing brush. I guess that makes you an expert on the area.

Jake, I am sorry your request for basic information has turned into a "I'm right, you're wrong" debate, just remember everyone and anyone can be a sell proclaimed expert on the internet. I passed on what I was told by a long term resident of the area, make of it whatever you want, I have no vested interest in the place. I just wanted to share some basic information from a reliable source who has lived there for decades, not days.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb