Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Predictions for 2010
looking at the poi market it seems like its in a general decline since its 2000 peak. But I have a great idea.....

Poi stimulus. or possibly we declare poi a right and than we can pass a law requiring everyone to purchase a certain amount of poi. you know since its your right. That will help the poi market immensely.

after the first stimulus wears out we will likely need a second larger one though that should also include the grocers, i mean since the poi market is picking up we dont want the poor grocers to be saddled with the burden of selling all that extra poi, we need to subsidize them so that its easier to sell to us.

Here is a chart of the poi market, it really looks like it needs a bail out bad.

http://imgur.com/7f0z8.png

I predict a poi bail out.

I dont think glass steagal act had much to do with that market tho. ;P

quote:
Originally posted by Dave M

I'm still just lurking.. but I wonder what the repeal of the "Glass Steagal Act" has to do with the price of poi in Hawaii? Don't go run back through the thread looking for it in as much as i brought it up as an interjection to the convesation.

Wikipedia:

""The Banking Act of 1933 was a law that established the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) in the United States and introduced banking reforms, some of which were designed to control speculation[1]. It is most commonly known as the Glass–Steagall Act, after its legislative sponsors, Carter Glass and Henry B. Steagall.

Some provisions of the Act, such as Regulation Q, which allowed the Federal Reserve to regulate interest rates in savings accounts, were repealed by the Depository Institutions Deregulation and Monetary Control Act of 1980. Provisions that prohibit a bank holding company from owning other financial companies were repealed on November 12, 1999, by the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act.[2][3""

I agree the attitude here has changed and it's a good change. I was ROTFLOL at the Keynsian crack but remember If they have ears to hear let them hear. (nudge don't shove) I think after years of lurking and occasionally posting here I can honestly say that most of the folks here are open to the truth and are willing to listen.

Opps forgot my prediction.. I predict that paulw will have his thread hijacked by someone who lives in Hawaii. (man Im good)

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

My prediction is that John Rabi will update that cheesy looking photo on his website...[Big Grin][:p]

Just teasing John, I am sure that handsome mug of yours is the key to your success...[:p][8D]
Twitter becomes old news used only by a few obsessive compulsives who need to stay plugged in 24/7 due to it getting overloaded with so much commercial content that people quit using it as a form of communication.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by JWFITZ

True enough.

The most important topic for us to have, I think, locally, is this: How do we maintain a local economy in the world that faces us without stimulating "uneconomic growth?" That's a constructive discussion and a very important one.

This is silly to me. You want to continue with "economics"? We do not need economics. Economics was invented by banks and the government. What we need is people working together and not living in little boxes separated by acres of land. We need to break out of the commercially induced "individuality" and work together.

A good example of this is how they rebuilt a bridge and road that was washed out on Kauai. The gov't said it would cost millions and years to finish. The community got together, ignoring the economics, and finished it in a few months.

We do not need economic growth, we need sustainability. They cannot be mixed together, they are enemies.

What we need is anarchism.

@chrisb483

I see your direction, however don't allow the definitions you have been exposed to, be your reality. Economics is just about people that is it. Sustainability can only come through real economy, in a real economy government will play no role, if this is the point you make on "What we need is anarchism." I agree 100%

However productivity, consumption and profit are not bad things at all. In fact these are the very things that will lead to a sustainable future, because it is with the profit motive the producer can invest for the future and think beyond the next day and week, and can plan to his childre's future. That is the benefit capital and growth.

All of that depends on a sound currency, a money the people can depend on, whose value they are not chasing via a banking system that is a 100% cartel scam that does nothing but destroy the value of the currency and cause massive consolidation.

my point being is economics REAL economics is what brought humanity out of the hunters / gathers . a REAL TRUE economy would free us all a little but more each generation, but we have the opposite.

Just dont fall for the abuse of language that is causing you to think this way, think more fundamentally out of the box

My how the predictions run off the rails and into the Land of Speculative Thinking.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Samdooby

My prediction is that John Rabi will update that cheesy looking photo on his website...[Big Grin][:p]
Just teasing John, I am sure that handsome mug of yours is the key to your success...[:p][8D]
No hard feelings, I always look at that photo and wonder who that is! (It was taken 16 years ago!) [Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin]

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

So many people here with such a deep understanding of economics, it should be a piece of cake to make a testable prediction for 2010. Eg what the Dow will do, or the real estate market in Hawaii, or State unemployment. We'll check the results on 01/01/11.
prediction testable:

1. YOUR HOUSE WILL BE WORTH LESS IN GOLD THIS DATE NEXT YEAR THAN IT IS WORTH IN GOLD TODAY

2. THE DOW WILL BE WORTH LESS IN GOLD THIS DATE NEXT YEAR THAN IT IS WORTH IN GOLD TODAY

(note i am not using the dollar as a measuring stick, how much monopoly money its worth is pointless)

check back in 1 year!

quote:
Originally posted by 808blogger

@chrisb483

I see your direction, however don't allow the definitions you have been exposed to, be your reality. Economics is just about people that is it. Sustainability can only come through real economy, in a real economy government will play no role, if this is the point you make on "What we need is anarchism." I agree 100%

However productivity, consumption and profit are not bad things at all. In fact these are the very things that will lead to a sustainable future, because it is with the profit motive the producer can invest for the future and think beyond the next day and week, and can plan to his childre's future. That is the benefit capital and growth.

All of that depends on a sound currency, a money the people can depend on, whose value they are not chasing via a banking system that is a 100% cartel scam that does nothing but destroy the value of the currency and cause massive consolidation.

my point being is economics REAL economics is what brought humanity out of the hunters / gathers . a REAL TRUE economy would free us all a little but more each generation, but we have the opposite.

Just dont fall for the abuse of language that is causing you to think this way, think more fundamentally out of the box

Profit is theft. If one man gains, another man loses. There can be no shared profit in a closed system. That is an immutable law.

It is the profit motive over looks all other motives, like sustainability and environmental responsibility.

Farming took us away from hunting and gathering, not economics. Economics sprang from the needs of agriculture to be controlled by the land owners.