Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Predictions for 2010
1. I assume you mean the real estate market in general. Just in Hawaii, or Puna or the US?
2. The Dow is an index, how do you translate that to a dollar (or gold) value?
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

1. I assume you mean the real estate market in general. Just in Hawaii, or Puna or the US?
2. The Dow is an index, how do you translate that to a dollar (or gold) value?

1. PUNA (but it will apply accross the board)

2. FOR EXAMPLE
dow = 10000
gold = 1000

dow is worth 10 ounces of gold.

(THESE ARE EXAMPLE NUMBERS)

the dow will be worth LESS

so will your house
Chris I am sorry you are uneducated in your anarchism. you can email me off the board and we can discuss, you seem like you are on the right track to getting to anarchy, yet you are just like a statist when you are espousing your opinion. you should trace the logic of what you are saying our even further and you will come to different conclusions. Some of the greatest anarchist thinkers and writers are actually economists, and CAPITALIST economists for that matter. I think you are eager to deviate from the system yet have not fully explored that realm beyond the "profit is theft" mantra of the pseudo anarchist.

[/quote]

Profit is theft. If one man gains, another man loses. There can be no shared profit in a closed system. That is an immutable law.

It is the profit motive over looks all other motives, like sustainability and environmental responsibility.

Farming took us away from hunting and gathering, not economics. Economics sprang from the needs of agriculture to be controlled by the land owners.
[/quote]
Yep. Good time to take it somewhere else or bring it back to Hawaii.

By the way Gentlemen, can we try to reduce the habit of requoting requoted quotes? It gets
a little overladen (not to mention 1999).

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
A high probability the Federal Government will bankrupt irreparably, the U.S. monetary system will collapse and agricultural products will be amongst the few things having any value, greater than that of gold, petroleum, luxury products and residential/commercial real estate.

Whip your farms and ranches into full production; you may be amongst the true few to pull the populace through the troubles ahead. Think of the real things we’ll need on this island when the ships stop subsidizing it and get them now while you still can.

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
808Blogger. I have no idea what you are saying. I have a dual degree in Economics and History and I spent the last ten years reading anarchist writing. What you said made little sense. To be an economist is to see its folly. I think Proudhon said that.

Everyone wants to do things "offline". What good is that for the internet. These conversation should be logged for posterity.

PaulW, any economist knows that economic predicting as akin to gambling. I predict your predictions will be wrong, and if they are right, you got lucky.

@chrisb483

i think you and i actually are more alike than different. i would actually want to keep it online, but for fear of a good moderator slashing.

consider me an "austrian" when it comes to my ideas of economy, I support the ideas of voluntary society 100%.

Thanks

I'd invite input on a related discussion here, as the topic is global but I'd suggest 808 and Chris may have some insight on the issue. . .I found the article uniquely interesting, but not a Punaweb kind of topic. I hope it's not inappropriate to bring it up.

http://sensiblesimplicity.lefora.com/201...es-/#post2

Seriously, and to attempt to bring the conversation out of snark and ideology--back to local concerns how on earth are the schools, etc., going to function? Even if one were to predict a "recovery" of sorts, to my mind pure fantasy--revenues certainly not going to recover for the fiscal year. If we started to get back to 100 buck a barrel fuel as well all sorts of services will be threatened. That's hanging by a thread. Even if one envisions a different kind of political/economic future, a little forethought and planning is worth while to ease the transitional cataclysm. This is my biggest concern, and was so from the start. Sustainability is indeed key to all these issues, but that's a more complicated and thorny issue than many give credit to.

http://sensiblesimplicity.lefora.com/
There ya go. I predict that Jay has a local web site ideally suited to lengthy discussions of world wide futures both bleak and hopeful.

I merely expect Punaweb discussions to maintain a base and foot in Puna and Hawaii. Too challenging for some I admit.

Now see how wonderful it is to have so many opportunities? Right here in Puna too! It wasn't always this way.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
Just a guy in a cowboy hat munching popcorn watching my horse troughs freeze..

I predict my troughs will be frozen by morning..

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young