Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When you visit friends in Hawaii....
Carol, we have also had numerous friends, relatives & those that want to "stay while helping us work on our house"

We have found that most guests have no clue what they cost (one niece actually took 2 to 4 half hour hot showers a day.. and needed fresh towels after each... ) We figure that each guest will normally use over a KW of electricity extra each day they are here, plus food & essentials...

One thing that has become very apparent to me (mainly because people told me I need to do it) is to speak up & require that these guests realize that they are a liability on your resources BEFORE they come (just don't say something like "why, of course we would love it if you come!" one phrase I have caught myself saying...)

It is up to us as hosts to outline our rules & expectations & up to them to agree to them, before they show up at our door (even big hotels do this, using $$, so why shouldn't we, using common courtesies?) If they decide not to agree to our expectations, there are plenty of nice places that will gladly take their $$.

ETA: Also it is good to realize that some people will "forget" to tell you things.... like they really just quit smoking, so they may start back .... they didn't realize that they would get soo sweaty, so they need lots of showers... they cannot control themselves around an open liquor cabinet.... they're off this month, this is "my month to enjoy myself"...
Believe it or not, we have heard each and everyone of these... some from the ones that were here to "work"

Messages In This Thread
When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by csgray - 03-09-2010, 03:36 PM
RE: When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by dcl - 03-09-2010, 05:40 PM
RE: When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by Carey - 03-09-2010, 05:47 PM
RE: When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by Guest - 03-09-2010, 06:16 PM
RE: When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by missydog1 - 03-09-2010, 07:35 PM
RE: When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by dmbwest - 03-09-2010, 11:15 PM
RE: When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by dcl - 03-11-2010, 04:13 AM
RE: When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by missydog1 - 03-11-2010, 02:52 PM