Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When you visit friends in Hawaii....
Boy, there are sure a lot of assumptions going on here about my life, my friends, my family and my computers; all because I was just trying to let fellow punawebbers know a little bit about ins and outs of visiting/hosting here in Hawaii.

For the record, my computer is a laptop and no one uses it but me, ever. The desktop computer has a separate log in for guests with no bookmarks on it. Most of our friends and family are not particularly plugged in to the whole internet using lifestyle, those that are are not interested in Puna per se, just interested in visiting us. I think almost everyone who visited thinks we live in a suburb of Hilo called Paradise Park or in the town of Pahoa, so while the concept of a place called Puna is central to all of our lives it means nothing to these people.

None of our visitors know each other, and none of our friends or family read Punaweb, so the example about the book was just that, an example, not a back door way of shaming anyone. As I stated before, while we were in the whirlwind of visitors it was hard to measure the impacts, although we sure tried hard to let people know we were in a drought, had already had to buy water once due to the impact of our first set of visitors, and that electricity is the most expensive in the country here. But after we had a chance to evaluate the impact, I wrote my OP as advice to potential visitors and to let others who had not yet figured it out that they might want to lay down some ground rules before guests come. I sure wish someone had clued us in before all our guests came, because we sure would have sent out a "before you visit here's some stuff you should know" email. Some things we really couldn't anticipate, like having the people who were staying in our fairly well equipped separate Ohana expect meal service and want to stay up visiting with us WAY after my bedtime every night. We thought they would be off having wonderful Hawaii adventures, not parking in our kitchen every night.

SH keeps harping about why didn't I tell my guests up front (or get someone else to which is a really weird suggestion) and now I have stated for the third time that we didn't realize how big the collective impact was, until it was all over. I hope that it gets through this time.

Hindsight is always 20/20, especially when judging other people. So please just take my OP at face value and don't over analyze it. Sometimes people just want to share some advice to punawebbers, and really aren't trying to send subliminal messages out to other people via the internet.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb

Messages In This Thread
When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by csgray - 03-09-2010, 03:36 PM
RE: When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by dcl - 03-09-2010, 05:40 PM
RE: When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by Guest - 03-09-2010, 06:16 PM
RE: When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by missydog1 - 03-09-2010, 07:35 PM
RE: When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by dmbwest - 03-09-2010, 11:15 PM
RE: When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by dcl - 03-11-2010, 04:13 AM
RE: When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by missydog1 - 03-11-2010, 02:52 PM
RE: When you visit friends in Hawaii.... - by csgray - 03-11-2010, 03:33 PM