Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"..Those who left Puna "- your comments
Mauka has found his/her Heaven-on-Earth but no guarantee it will or won't be that for your son.

Personally I found East Side Big Island to be pretty far from Heaven and we are much happier now in Waimea. Its still not Heaven but I doubt that many Punatics would consider the place I consider close to Paradise to be that for them. (its on the mainland)

Someone in the threads mentioned the whole "The Island chooses her children" idea which I think tends to overblow the mystique woo-woo that people give this place. That kind of connection happens to people everywhere; its called being where you belong and its hardly exclusive to Hawaii.

If your son has decided to make his life out here then I truly hope then he will find this to be the place he belongs, or at least will be for a while.

I would suggest having him read the book, Culture Shock: Hawaii. Its a good overview of life out here that people need to be ready for without the "Aloha" Board of Tourism spin.

I'm not saying its a negative, but its definitely different in some surprising ways. Some fit right in, others find it hard to accept. Best for him to be informed of the Islands shortcomings and how hard it is to get established in such an insular culture.

But just because something is hard doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted. I just would hope he has a good idea of the life that he will have if he does succeed at making it financially.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Guest - 04-23-2010, 12:59 PM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Guest - 04-23-2010, 10:19 PM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Guest - 04-24-2010, 09:53 AM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Aki - 04-24-2010, 10:59 AM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by freestate - 04-24-2010, 12:01 PM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Aki - 04-25-2010, 02:05 AM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Guest - 04-25-2010, 05:55 AM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Aki - 04-28-2010, 02:56 PM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Guest - 04-29-2010, 01:06 AM