Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"..Those who left Puna "- your comments
I think KeaauRich brings up a good point. The island is quite isolated and much closer to an underdeveloped country than you will likely find anywhere else in the U.S.A.; and there is acceptance for behaviors out here that are no longer social norms on the mainland.

Hawaii to me is like a beautiful woman with some unsavory characteristics. Those characteristics may not bother you, they might be a problem. But the beauty of Hawaii is undeniable and very easy to appreciate.

However I don't think KeaauRich intended his post to be taken this way but it does remind me that many of those that love it out here have the viewpoint that they are rejecting the materialism and lifestyle of the mainland and they are better people for it. He mentioned "depending on external...for their happiness" and not needing "stuff" to be happy. Its just as easy to live a non-materialistic existence on the mainland, its a choice.

There is an attitude you will find in Hawaii that if you prefer the mainland then its because you are materialistic and too "Type A" to enjoy island life. Its a kind of Island Smugness. It reminds me of something I heard from a Buddhist about the trap of piety if you allow it to lead to self-congratulation.

Because of how I grew up I know that you don't need money or things to be happy. And I grew up in a very rural isolated town in farm country so can't say that its unfamiliarity with the rural lifestyle. You can't assume that if someone isn't enchanted by Hawaii its because they need an SUV and a McMansion.

To the original poster Chris if you want more details on what I consider to be drawbacks to the island I would feel better about responding to a personal e-mail. I'm not on here to bash Hawaii or question why people love it. I would no sooner question their choice of spouse.

Also to KeaauRich, I am not trying to start a internet sparring match. Your post reminded me of some things I've experienced in Hawaii, I know it may sound like I made assumptions about your message. Your message simply brought up some thoughts. I'm not trying to win; just offer a different perspective.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Guest - 04-23-2010, 12:59 PM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Guest - 04-23-2010, 10:19 PM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Guest - 04-24-2010, 09:53 AM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Aki - 04-24-2010, 10:59 AM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Aki - 04-25-2010, 02:05 AM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Guest - 04-25-2010, 05:55 AM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by freestate - 04-25-2010, 08:22 AM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Aki - 04-28-2010, 02:56 PM
RE: "..Those who left Puna "- your comments - by Guest - 04-29-2010, 01:06 AM