Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At last ... at last .... moving to Big Island!!
My name is Cindy and my husband's name is Henry. We all hope to be your neighbors in 2 weeks and we look forwarding to meeting you all, if not through Punaweb, then in person.

Although we are Los Angeles natives, we have lived for the past 2 years in Tijeras,
NM -- a little mountain village of about 8,000 ft. altitude, 35 miles SE of Albuquerque. We have always been nature lovers and travelers, so living in a rural town with juniper and pinon trees, going through monstrous lightning storms in monsoon season, and 5-6 foot snow drifts was quite the pleasant challenge.

But hooray! After several attempts we finally sold our mountain home and will be leaving for the Big Island in about 2 weeks. Never again will Henry have to dig our car out a snow drift. And we are soon replacing heavy woolen sweaters with shorts and sandals and cotton! Yee haw.

Planning this trip has taken about a year and a half, of talking about it, reading, visiting Puna and Hilo, putting our house on the market. The first sale fell through, then this latest sale, which closed yesterday, took about 7 weeks of grueling problematic escrow. But we did it! We are on our way.

I loved the diversity of the Big Island, diversity of cultures, foods, art, music, and the many types of landscapes and seascapes. I have missed the ocean so much!

It seems like the move to the Big Island is a second chance in life to re-invent oneself. Did you all feel that way when you made the move? What new circumstances did you find yourself in when you moved? Did you go through a growing process? Were there any obstacles you had to overcome moving from the mainland?

What did you find out about yourself once you made the leap, and moved to Puna. What was your most pleasant surprise? What was the least favorite surprise? And what were your reasons for coming to the Big Island?

L/Cindy

Cindy C.
Cindy C.

Messages In This Thread
At last ... at last .... moving to Big Island!! - by Banyan Tree - 05-26-2007, 03:47 AM