Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Government beach road from Hawaiian beaches to fou
The portion of Beach Road between Makuu in HPP and Hawaiian Beaches is a "Road in Limbo". You can look it up online on the County's web site under Roads in Limbo, under DPW. There are more than 200 Roads in Limbo in the County - roads that the County and State argued over for years, with the County finally agreeing to be responsible for the Roads in Limbo in 2006. However, County was only given $2 million to repair the roads and that money was used up very quickly.

Last summer all 200+ Roads In Limbo were inspected and prioritized based on several factors, including # of residents and emergency access. Roads were ranked in first, second, or third priority to be fixed, i.e. paved or otherwise improved.

There are 14 or so homes on Beach Road on the first 1/2-1 of the HPP side. That portion of the road is in decent shape. The homes on Hawaiian Beaches side are all in the first half mile of Beach Road where the road dis in decent shape. There are no homes in the middle of Beach Road.

Essentially, Beach Road (Old Government Road) as it lies between HPP and Hawaiian Beaches is in the 3rd priority listing of roads to be improved for Lower Puna district. Given that there is little to no money to fix the roads in the first priority grouping, I don;t see Beach Road being improved any time soon.

Beach Road between Makuu and Kaloli is considered a private road in a private subdivision. I can tell you the County does not consider Beach Road a County Road, nor is it on the County's road inventory list.

I don't know about Railroad heading into Hilo on Shipman property as it is on private property (Shipman).

Honolulu Landing - Waa waa is also a Road in Limbo. The community has been divided on how they wanted the road improved during past community meetings and thus little headway has been made in improving that road.

quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele kane

Kahunascott,
Incorrect; The “beach road” is County owned right of way all the way to Hilo. This includes sections surrounded by HPP and Shipmans, the legal description remains under County ownership. It’s was a public owned road long before Shipmans arrival or the concept of HPP. The county gained ownership of the roadway after it’s establishment when the Islands became the State of Hawaii. Read the plat records concerning the areas, the roads designation is clear.

Edit to add:
The County has never relinquished the roads ownership. Fred Blas has already noted intent to put the road through again. As per federal dollars, the project is already on the books and the State of Hawaii has already paid for the study. Shipmans themselves offered to put the road in through a loan to the County years ago(County declined offer). There's a great deal of historical record surrounding the Beach road.

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Government beach road from Hawaiian beaches to fou - by taropatch - 06-11-2011, 04:46 PM
RE: Government beach road from Hawaiian beaches to fou - by spunky - 06-14-2011, 05:24 AM