Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HILO (a different experience)
Yep where was the ending of that Hilo tour description then like Akaka Falls then......what? I agree very week article end.

To me Hilo and Kona are ying and yang. Which is better? There's a better sense of the real Hawaii in Hilo town to me then the almost Florida beach town feeling of Kona. But I like both for different reasons. You just don't get the beautiful gardens, falls, and lush surroundings in Kona or Waikoloa. Even the prettiest spot on the west side to me probably Malakawena Beach is backed up by some of the ugliest lava flow land known to man.

The obvious tourist trade problems to Hilo is no great beaches and potential disasters that no big invester would do like....lava flows and tsunamis.

I just spent 11 days from Wailea Village to Hilo to Puna. Lots to see and lots to think about. New discoveries this time out were that the Coconut Island is a really excellent walk at sundown. The history behind the old sugar town era became really interesting to me doing a couple of walks to see the Kolekole Beach Park along the old Mamalahoa road down from the village and over to the Hakalau sugar mill ruins in the other direction. Laupahoeheo Point is a very stunningly beautiful and powerful place. Of course the coqui frog noise I could probably live without.

Looking forward to my next trip back...Aloha !!!!!

Messages In This Thread
HILO (a different experience) - by hikatz - 10-01-2011, 03:23 AM
RE: HILO (a different experience) - by JerryCarr - 10-01-2011, 04:09 AM
RE: HILO (a different experience) - by Royall - 10-01-2011, 04:20 AM
RE: HILO (a different experience) - by Kelena - 10-01-2011, 06:23 AM
RE: HILO (a different experience) - by missydog1 - 10-01-2011, 09:42 AM
RE: HILO (a different experience) - by hikatz - 10-01-2011, 12:49 PM
RE: HILO (a different experience) - by ericlp - 10-01-2011, 05:05 PM
RE: HILO (a different experience) - by TheodoreJay - 10-01-2011, 07:07 PM
RE: HILO (a different experience) - by missydog1 - 10-01-2011, 09:12 PM