Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps
@Punafish, From your mouth to God's ears! If only. In the short spate I have been engaged in this community -- relative to my whole life -- I have come to appreciate the abundance of wealth in treasures of the souls with whom I have served and most cases for whom I served. Irrespective of all demographics each soul has brought to bear such introspect and charity that my life has been enriched. Seriously, the level of compassion and the desire for community has from time to time popped up and refreshed those it touched. As in all situations from core family to community local, state or national, there will be those who see the 'live and let live' philosophy of most as a vulnerability to exploit and they set out to accomplish some self interest leveraging the power of the community with its treasures to their own ends. But I am reminded that 'this too shall pass.' The words of Shakespeare have oft induced contemplation and thus I am reminded: "How poor are they that have not patience! What wound did ever heal but by degrees?" Alas, we must be patient as things in the community self adjust and a sense of community continues to thrive as it bubbles forth from fresh springs in different neighborhoods.

It may seem as though the Speed Humps issue is being 'overblown' to some who may or may not live here locally or proximate to Papio, and if one zooms out to take in the broader picture of 'world problems' it may seem the Speed Humps issue is trivial. From a philosophical perspective it may simply be symptomatic of a world laden with such huge problems some believe they cannot begin to affect positively so they work at fixing things they can on a local level. But, isn't that how most people view the building blocks of our global community is by dealing with things from the smallest unit that can be influenced? First the family then the local community?

On the Speed Humps issue, I have a copy of the Speed Hump Policy that is now 'in force' and interestingly the paperwork being handed out contains information about the detrimental impact of the use of such traffic calming devices. Of the 6 disadvantages listed 4 of them have found their way into the discussion on this and one other thread. Data from ITE is contained within the Policy that provides the positive AND negative aspects. The only 2 concerns not yet discussed here is the impact on school and transit buses and hazards to cyclists, be it bicycle or motorcycle. At the local level, the level that most immediately impacts the quality of life both for those who live on the street under discussion and those who live on or nearby the streets now being affected, the time has come for the community to come together and engage in dialogue. For those directly impacted one way or another it is a problem one party has resolved to its intended purpose, to slow traffic; the other party is just now emerging having been called out of their peaceful and quiet lives to resolve it equably. It is not a case of 'much ado about nothing' but rather an opportunity for the community to act as a community with open dialogue with its leadership. The honking? I see it as a 'warning' or an 'acknowledgement' that some of the community find the issue problematic. In any case, however this is resolved it begins Thursday evening at 6P Nov 10 at the regular monthly Board meeting. For those who will be testifying to this issue a trip to the business office and a request for a copy of the proposed Speed Hump Policy may be enlightening. There is proviso for removal within the context of the policy.

I am not bound to please thee with my answer. -- William Shakespeare
"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by dmbwest - 11-02-2011, 05:51 PM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-02-2011, 06:32 PM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-03-2011, 06:43 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-03-2011, 08:27 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-03-2011, 07:58 PM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-04-2011, 01:07 PM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-04-2011, 09:42 PM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by critterlover - 11-04-2011, 10:54 PM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-05-2011, 06:08 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-05-2011, 06:27 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by dmbwest - 11-05-2011, 12:29 PM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-06-2011, 06:07 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by dmbwest - 11-06-2011, 07:15 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by dmbwest - 11-06-2011, 09:30 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-07-2011, 05:46 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by dmbwest - 11-07-2011, 01:56 PM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-09-2011, 05:32 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-10-2011, 05:27 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by dmbwest - 11-10-2011, 05:47 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-10-2011, 05:18 PM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-10-2011, 07:54 PM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-11-2011, 06:02 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-11-2011, 07:36 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by dmbwest - 11-11-2011, 04:13 PM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-17-2011, 11:03 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-17-2011, 11:23 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-17-2011, 03:31 PM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by dmbwest - 11-18-2011, 07:05 PM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-20-2011, 06:55 AM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 11-21-2011, 01:05 PM
RE: Honk if you don't like the Shores speed bumps - by Guest - 12-01-2011, 08:48 AM