Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Snub-nosed dogs" denied on Hawaiian Airlines?
Thank you ALL for your thoughtful responses and all the information you've provided! Our pup, Wilson (named for the volleyball in "Cast Away") is an incredibly mellow little guy.... we spend half the year RV'ing (the other half in Prince Edward Island, Canada), and after his morning walk, once we get on the road, Wilson is totally content to stay in his crate while we drive the RV. I've never had a more mellow pet (and I'm in my 60's), so that makes a huge difference to me in terms of traveling with this little guy. That being said, I agree, taking a month-long trip isn't worth the potential problems for the dog.

I lived in Mountain View for 2 years (winters, anyway) not that long ago, and I used to walk the neighborhood.... even without a dog along, it was sometimes nerve wracking because of dogs on chains or behind not very secure fencing.... but that is where I would walk my dog if I had him on island with me - wherever I was staying. I agree about the beaches - he loves the beach, but I wouldn't hesitate to leave him behind for 4-5 hours. Like I said, he's a very laid back guy! If we have errands to do, and if it's too hot or whatever, and we don't want to bring him in the car with us (he has a small soft crate for the car because he feels more secure, not sliding around), then he stays home by himself for up to 6 hours. NEver had a problem! So I guess all I can say, is we're pretty lucky with this little guy, and we're all pretty adaptable and flexible. We wouldn't hesitate leaving the dog in his crate in a vacation rental or a hotel - thankfully, we'll be staying at a friend's place so we don't have to worry about that..... and again, we've decided to leave the dog here with a friend who has a very playful dog.... Wilson will likely be exhausted by the time we return!!

Mahalo so much for all the info - Hilo Kennels, lists of pet-friendly beaches, etc. This is great info for anyone with a pet on island! I am very grateful to Punawebbers!! [Smile]

Wherever you go, there you are.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Snub-nosed dogs" denied on Hawaiian Airlines? - by missydog1 - 12-07-2011, 12:25 PM
RE: "Snub-nosed dogs" denied on Hawaiian Airlines? - by Rumi in Hawaii - 12-08-2011, 02:45 AM