Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dog seizures
Hi Carol, my heart goes out to you. I'm a devoted dog guy from way too many years; and I can tell you that seizures are part of the deal, not all that uncommon, and are generally more difficult on the owner than on the pet. It may never happen again, but...

I'd like to offer these thoughts, do with them as you please.

Stay calm. The dog is likely aware even if that doesn't seem to be the case; hard to believe I know.

Get the dog to a secure location as soon as you can or secure the area around the dog. Eliminate any and all risks. Above all else, keep the dog from wandering into danger or injuring itself.

Be with and comfort the dog. He/she is more confused than you, and needs you there now more than ever. Protect your hands and face, seizure activities are entirely involuntary.

Pad the dog's head.

Kill all the distractions from the secure place. Eliminate anything and everything out of the ordinary; tv, radio, road noise, kids playing, everything. Make it just you and the dog.

Time the seizure and take notes. Date, time, prior activities, food and water intake, etc. Your vet will surely ask for this info.

Don't do anything or offer anything during the event that could cause the dog to choke. Contrary to folklore, the dog won't swallow his/her tongue.

Once the dog is up and around afterward, continue to secure its space from potential dangers for at least a couple hours. I generally try to offer a bit of icecream during this period to tweak the blood/sugar, and I'll usually provide a smallish ration at the next feeding, just in case.

Schedule a vet check to rule out all you can.

More than just a couple of my best friends have suffered from seizures. It's a OMG moment every time, but we get through. My last guy lived with them from just beyond puppyhood, and didn't give it up 'till he was 17. It's a thing you can live with.

Good luck.

Messages In This Thread
dog seizures - by csgray - 02-18-2012, 06:22 PM
RE: dog seizures - by David M - 02-18-2012, 07:02 PM
RE: dog seizures - by TomK - 02-18-2012, 08:09 PM
RE: dog seizures - by terracore - 02-19-2012, 04:05 AM
RE: dog seizures - by Kapohocat - 02-19-2012, 06:24 AM
RE: dog seizures - by Bonnie Lee - 02-19-2012, 06:59 AM
RE: dog seizures - by BradW - 02-19-2012, 09:49 AM
RE: dog seizures - by Morningstar - 02-19-2012, 02:14 PM
RE: dog seizures - by csgray - 02-19-2012, 04:38 PM
RE: dog seizures - by terry.way - 02-19-2012, 04:52 PM