Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A request for photography suggestions
Oh my you could spend weeks on the Big Island and not photograph everything and it depends on your subject matter interest. Almost any sundown on the west side will give you spectacular result. Coconut Island and the Japanese Gardens (Hilo) is a great place at sundown even though you don't get a direct sundown look.

For plants you could spend hours/hours at Hawaiin Tropical Botanical Gardens. Bring tripod, macro lense, and long exposure for best results. Akaka falls has some nice views and plants as well. Lava Tree has some really fun landscape choices if you pick choose different angles.

Generally the falls on the east side are best photographed w/ a clear blue sky which tends to be early morning before it clouds over.

I have fun shooting all of the old Hawaii buildings such as the Pahoa board walk, Honokaa town especially has fun old buildings to take pictures of not to mention the dramatic view of Waipio Valley up the road a bit.

The Hamakua Coast has some spectacular views especially Laupahoehoe Point and the sugar mill ruins at Hakalau Landing are really fun. McKenzie State Park in lower Puna is especially dramatic w/ the large splasing waves and getting some of the tree tunnels along the "Red Road" are fun to shoot (just don't get run over standing in the middle of the road).

Of course when the lava is flowing get yourself over to Kalapana area.

The prettiest beach on the island to me is Makalewena Beach north of Kona but you better have a 4x4 to get in there easily. Pololu Valley up north is probably my favorite scenic spot on the island.

Places like Place of Refuge have loads of acient Hawaiian history to record as well as the King Kemehameah inspired temple ruins just south of Kawaihae Harbor. I got some really cool images looking towards the harbor at the temple offering stand w the moon and stars coming up.

To inspire you go into the Art Center at VNP and look at the really good collection of photography in there for sale to get inspired.

Enjoy !!!!!

Messages In This Thread
A request for photography suggestions - by TomK - 02-19-2012, 08:37 PM
RE: A request for photography suggestions - by TheodoreJay - 02-20-2012, 07:58 AM
RE: A request for photography suggestions - by missydog1 - 02-20-2012, 08:52 AM
RE: A request for photography suggestions - by missydog1 - 02-20-2012, 03:28 PM
RE: A request for photography suggestions - by dmbwest - 02-20-2012, 05:10 PM