Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is up with the cops out here???
I wasn't claiming the cops did right. As far as that goes, for the most part, I've not been very impressed with what I've heard about the local police. Based on the little information given in the original post it sounded like one of those confusing clusters I've been on where you can't determine what really happened or who is legally at fault. I obviously wasn't there so I can only base an opinion on your post. I don't know Hawaii landlord tenant law or how it would apply in that case. Was it a legal arrangement that would fall under laws governing hotels or transient accommodations? A long term residential rental arrangement? Or was it some quasi-legal or off books arrangement? It could make a difference. I don't claim to know Hawaii law. In many cases for a threat to be illegal it must be believable, the victim must actually feel fear and the suspect must be immediately capable of carrying out the threat. Drunken azz holes aren't necessarily breaking the law by just being drunken azz holes (damn it!). All those variables could influence the cops ability to act, especially if the landlord tenant situation is murky.

I can too easily envision a scenario where you have an off book rental arrangement where you have one ne'er-do-well renting from other ne'er-do-wells and they have an argument and the landlord side calls their friend/goons over to illegally evict the other, where a legal court eviction would be called for. During this, one person is injured but this occurs when he/she is in the suspect n'er-do-well's "legal" residence, where the "victim" entered or remained "unlawfully". When it doesn't go as planned they then call the cops. The cops show up and find a cluster with no right or wrong sides, just squabbling me'er-do-wells. That could be what they saw, right or wrong.

Don't take that paragraph as an indictment of your friends. It was a scenario I dreamt up based on past experiences and likely bears no semblance to this incident.

It does sound like some sort of report on the incident would be appropriate, but then I come from a background where reports are generated for most everything. It could also be that the cops screwed up. I don't know, but it does sound like a cluster.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is up with the cops out here??? - by oink - 08-28-2012, 05:44 AM
RE: What is up with the cops out here??? - by dmbwest - 09-02-2012, 01:34 PM