Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast
quote:
Originally posted by JerryCarr

OK, But here in a nutshell is perhaps the point that most of the critical posters on this thread are trying to make:

If our officials are going to say we have a siren system that works and is an important part of our warning safety net, it needs to work. It also needs to be present in the areas most likely to suffer a disaster, which in these parts would be the tsunami and rapid eruption overrun zones, regardless of whether those locations are in private subdivisions. Otherwise, they should remove them to avoid the cost and confusion.

Very well put. There are newer and louder sirens available also.
I have lived in a tsunami zone for almost 40 years and this is the first place I have not seen them really near the water. The posts about salt corrosion didn't keep Washington and Oregon from installing huge sirens right on the beach access roads. these were heard for a couple miles away. I moved from the Olympic Peninsula on the Washington coast. It was way more rural than HPP and yet they had many larger sirens. Wonder why they are not nearer the Puna coastline here.
Also, seems to me the county road right of way through Shipman would be a place a siren could go. I sure would think that is a needed area for one.
Yes, I did go door to door to let neighbors know and I received and made phone calls to make sur folks knew.
But as Jerry said, why not have a siren in the areas on the water? 1 1/2 miles away from the ocean is too far to hear the siren and if some of the fishers or hikers are out further than Kaloli Point they are even further away from that one siren up on 4th and Kaloli. Did that one even work? Seems like some people heard the one on 6th and Makuu, which is about 3 miles from Kaloli Point shore.
hawaiideborah

Messages In This Thread
RE: Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast - by dmbwest - 10-27-2012, 05:10 PM
RE: Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast - by dmbwest - 10-27-2012, 05:18 PM
RE: Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast - by dmbwest - 10-27-2012, 05:20 PM
RE: Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast - by dmbwest - 10-27-2012, 05:32 PM
RE: Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast - by dmbwest - 10-27-2012, 05:47 PM
RE: Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast - by dmbwest - 10-27-2012, 06:14 PM
RE: Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast - by dmbwest - 10-29-2012, 09:39 AM
RE: Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast - by dmbwest - 10-30-2012, 11:28 AM
RE: Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast - by dmbwest - 10-30-2012, 11:32 AM
RE: Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast - by hawaiideborah - 10-31-2012, 09:32 AM