Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's
Yeah, Tomk, because if this man's banana patch goes under people are going to starve. If not Big Island, certainly somewhere in this beautiful world. Whatever yourself. You think kids in Africa are starving because there is a lack of food? It's because they lack the money to get food.

So again, are people going to starve?
No, this man will just be out of his cash-crop. I'm pretty sure he isn't eating bananas for every meal. No,he's using it to obtain currency that other people also use to transact with so he can purchase the thing's he needs to live. Besides, if GMOs were banned to that extent- and I don't even agree that it should-HE could grow a different kind of banana (OR does this disease effect all of the varieties in Hawaii?). There are OTHER crops, some even still foreign to the Big Island that would grow perfectly (if not better) in anyone of the 10/14 world climates that this island hosts. It could produce even more capital- but you have to be creative, and as you've pointed out Bananas are an industry.. So why not try your hand at something else in a seemingly and relatively saturated market?

Hawaii is it's own brand, quite literally. That should be part of the concern in this bill as well. I know people selling clay and making 100s of k, strictly because it's from Hawaii. It was the same way with our Papaya. So instead of letting the industry die, we let the industry survive in a relative poverty.

There are different layers to the facts. Are they safe? Sure, I bet the ones messing with relative genes in plants to escape extinction have little to zero harm. But they're not safe for the local economy. If a country won't import our goods and it isn't worth as much then it loses at least half purpose of producing it. LOOK at the price of Papayas and industry today. Who used to buy our papayas and what price vs. who buys them now and for how much?

And yes, I find it amazing (in my knowledge, experience, and love of agriculture) that the words "Plant" and "Planet" have common ROOTS in Latin.

Keeping walking buddy.

Living on the side of creation.
Living on the side of creation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 10-24-2013, 03:38 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Aaron - 10-25-2013, 10:53 PM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 10-26-2013, 08:51 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 10-30-2013, 07:52 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-04-2013, 03:42 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-09-2013, 05:03 PM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-12-2013, 07:25 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-17-2013, 01:09 PM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-18-2013, 05:03 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-18-2013, 07:22 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-19-2013, 09:10 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-25-2013, 12:42 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-25-2013, 02:19 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-25-2013, 06:16 AM