Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's
quote:
Originally posted by Greg
At these rates, I think it would be very easy and cost effective for individuals to invest in their own infrastructure. Like Kalakoa mentioned, they would have to do so as an energy coop and be prepared to fight off HELCO's attorneys.

Given how hard it is to get Puna residents to agree for long on such mundane matters as what to do about collecting unpaid road fees to their HOA, and whether or not to have speed bumps on their streets, how realistic do you think it would be to unite them on something a lot more impactful on their lives and a lot more expensive, like building their own micro-grid for power distribution would be?

I give it zero chance of success, simply based on a study of human nature and a reading of history. I mean, I've seen neighbors come to blows and then end up in court over a fence.

quote:
Fuel cells are coming, Raj the solar guy had a one cylinder generator generator that runs on any fuel, including home grown oil, that would power several homes. These options, plus solar and wind make micro grids affordable; especially when compared to the $10,000/year that six or so homes would pay HELCO at their ever increasing rates.(After the $40,000 or so for grid infrastructure.)

Currently HELCO's minimum rate is $25.50 a month for grid-tie accounts which feed as much energy back into the grid as they use. And I know several people who are doing that, exactly.

Fuel cells are great, but they need investment and fuel and maintenance and a place to put the equipment, plus the connections and micro-grid... and meantime one of the families wants out, and another lost his job and can't pay, and another couple is divorcing... and everybody is just doing all the stuff people do. The great thing about a real utility is that there's nothing personal about it, and what your idiot neighbor does really has nothing to do with whether your lights will work when you get home from work.

quote:
I'm not trying to vilify HELCO, but let's be honest;

1. Their interest lies in paying their investors more than you or I.

This is no surprise, nor should it be. That's the design of the structure.

quote:
2. They're not to excited about trying any innovative strategies or technology.

Nor should this be a surprise either. That's not the business they are in. Utilities are by nature very conservative.

quote:
They're a dinosaur; slow moving, slow to adapt, and they are ...

... still going to be there for you if your little plan for your nabe falls apart? Yeah, that's what I was going to say, too. Big Grin

There's no question that they're a slow moving, highly bureaucratic organization, but what do you expect, seriously, from a small mostly rural utility in a small and mostly rural county in a small and highly bureaucratic state? They aren't the Evil Empire, they're Toonerville Light and Power. Try to keep a sense of humor about that, because it helps keep expectations in check.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 10-24-2013, 03:38 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 10-26-2013, 08:51 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 10-30-2013, 07:52 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-04-2013, 03:42 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-09-2013, 05:03 PM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-12-2013, 07:25 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by OpenD - 11-13-2013, 06:29 PM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-17-2013, 01:09 PM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-18-2013, 05:03 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-18-2013, 07:22 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-19-2013, 09:10 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-25-2013, 12:42 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-25-2013, 02:19 AM
RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - by Guest - 11-25-2013, 06:16 AM