Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CRIMINAL penalties for non-permitted buildings!
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. (I see threads as dormant, never dead.)

I just wanted to reply to the last post by saying that I think that residential building codes are nothing more than a way for governments to collect money.

Codes for commercial buildings and public spaces? I get it. But if you're an owner-builder, you should be able to build whatever you want. When given options and education, people will never build something they believe will collapse on their heads. Earthbag buildings are an excellent, strong, fireproof, moldproof, termite-proof and cheap alternative to stick houses, but most jurisdictions will require you to get an exemption from the codes to be able to build it. (That is, you have to pay an engineer to stamp plans.) Add to that Hawaii's requirements for septic/plumbing that a simple greywater & composting paradigm would render unnecessary, and you've got $10,000+ in construction costs before you even clear the site. This is absurd.

There aren't really two sides to the coin. In a world without codes, you build a house the way you want. If it gets knocked over -- which is actually less likely using many "alternative" building methods -- you build it again. Easy and cheap. No taxpayer assistance needed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: CRIMINAL penalties for non-permitted buildings! - by Forester - 01-23-2014, 09:13 AM
RE: CRIMINAL penalties for non-permitted buildings! - by Guest - 02-01-2014, 12:08 PM
RE: CRIMINAL penalties for non-permitted buildings! - by Guest - 02-02-2014, 10:11 AM
RE: CRIMINAL penalties for non-permitted buildings! - by Guest - 02-02-2014, 10:16 AM